The Curse of Digitial Photography

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My buddy is named Nikon, he doesn't mind waiting for me....:)

And yes, that is a great flatworm. Nicely done.

Back in film days i would shoot 36 shots of the same subject quite a bit...actually i still do that when i shoot film...
I may be part of the problem then because i encourage my photo students to spend 10 mins on a subject and bracket it exposure wise but also composure wise...oops.

Mind you i am a firm believer that as long as you have a buddy and are a certified diver there should not be a problem with the two of you separating from the group and guide, except on some very difficult current type dives where you need to be at a certain place with the whole group together (Blue Corner, Palau as an example)
Wall dives, coral gardens etc, shouldn't be a problem...as long as you have an understanding buddy then the rest of the group shouldn't matter.
However....saying that, if you have 3 or 4 others waiting to take a picture of the same subject then get out of the way after 3 or 4 shots and let the others have a go, if its really something you want to work on then wait until everyone is finished and then go back to it.

Mike

UP and I did a dive that lasted 105 minutes. Both of us had cameras and not once did we lose each other. I think the whole photo-buddy thing really helps if both divers are photographers.

Now a dive in 10'-15' of water with UP? Well that could last for days or until his camera battery dies!

Yeah, I've been known to drive people insane with the camera, particularly since I'm a new photographer with a big chip. I have to adjust my strobe fifty times, take shots from all angles, get used to the camera delay because I keep mistiming the surge and blocking the shot with kelp, etc etc etc. Heh.

alcina:
Great flatworm (?) - looks like an egg spiral next to him.

Fabulous!!

It was a busy mussel. A large Cockerell's Dorid was on one end and this Eurylepta californica (a type of polyclad worm) was on the other. In between them were 2 egg spirals--most likely from the Cockerell's. 1 of the egg spirals was half eaten or hatched and the other had some tiny, unknown type of worm on top of it.

I've used the tactic of getting the whole group involved in my shots (video). It seems like they're more willing to go slow and wait every once in a while if they get something they can show their wife and kids later.

Corby

slow does have it's benifits! I usually wind up far from the group, catch up and then - because I went slower - I have tons of air left. While everybody is getting out of the water I can hang around below the boat and find a few more things...as long as it is agreed upon before you dive, there should be no problem.

cjames:
I've used the tactic of getting the whole group involved in my shots (video). It seems like they're more willing to go slow and wait every once in a while if they get something they can show their wife and kids later.
Corby

Getting your dive buddy involved is a goo strategy for still photography as well. IMO. I try to get my dive buddies involved by having them keep an extra eye out for specific subject matter. Before entering the water tell them what you're looking for and then it becomes a team effort and you've got an extra pair of eyes working for you. I saw this nudibranch numerous times on the sandy bottom but it was my buddy that found one with a nice red background.

nudibranch.jpg

OE2X:
Now a dive in 10'-15' of water with UP? Well that could last for days or until his camera battery dies!
Well our dive yesterday averaged 12' and had a max depth of 24'... and lasted 2 hours 20 minutes. We still had an hour's worth of gas left but my memory card was full and OE2X's battery was depleted.

dsafanda ~ nice shot of the nudi on the red seaweed. I agree that if you are diving with non-photograhers getting them to find stuff for you keeps them engaged with you during the dive. If you are diving with a photographer taking pictures of them taking pictures is fun too:
OE2X taking a picture of plumose anemomes
OE2X_taking_a_picture.JPG

Up supine taking a picture tube worms under a log
Ron_supine_taking_a_picture.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom