The current ME situation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mattastic

Reaction score
A lot is being made of the situation in the Middle East at the moment. BA are dropping flights to Saudi in the short term because of increased threats etc. etc.

Has anyone seen any differences in attitude at the dive sites in the ME ? Is anyone letting any of this affect their dive trips ? What do the guys who live and work in the ME think ?

I have always found every local in the ME to be amongst the most welcoming and friendly people anywhere.

Matt

I live in the UAE... Business as usual... its just a little too hot to dive right now (chicken soup!)

I feel that the situation did not change for the worse lately. I have been diving in Sinai the same time last year and this time was even feeling better.

I will be the last one to tell you that all is fine around here, but at the same time you have to be more specific with choosing the sites you want to visit and find out about those, rather than getting General ME info.

Ari :)

ex. you can find people in Israel that will tell you that it is dangerous to go to Sinai, on the other side, i hear so many happy people getting back from diving there all the time.

So it depends who are you asking.... personally, life as usual....

sasha

I am English, live in Saudi, studied Arabic and Middle East politics and am in complete agreement with our Israeli cousins on this one!

Whilst I would not advise travelling to Saudi, even if you could get the visa, even here it is life as normal as it can ever be. As to Jordan, Egypt I would not think you will have any problems. I have been in each country during periods when the Foreign Office was advising against travel and found them to be more welcoming if anything, the added bonus especially with regards to Jordan is that the unique sights they have to offer on land are devoid of the scores of tourists that traditionally plague them.

In conclusion I'd give a big thumbs up to Jordan and Egypt and caution against travel to Saudi or Israel.

Just came back from Cyprus diving on the Zenobia werck and planing a diving safary on the begining on next month to Egypt. Just have to finish the "color corrections" on the photos :D
(and we are from Israel)

Back
Top Bottom