The controversial topic - diving with (slightly) congested nose

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrmerton

New
Reaction score
Hello everyone

I am off to Sharm next Sunday and I am wondering whether I will actually get to dive or not. For the past 4-6 months I have had a slightly congested nose - first thing in the mornings one of my nostrils is normally blocked but after a shower, i can breathe through both and can equalise quite easily (this is out of the water). Late in the evening, I am sometimes a bit stuffed up again. I can't seem to shake it and I really want to be able to dive.

I've read all the posts saying no no no, not even if it's slight but I thought i'd ask again. As I said, I can equalise and a squirt of Vicks (decongestent) sorts me out for the whole day although generally, just a bit of spitting (sorry guys) sorts me out.

Does anyone have any great thoughts on this?

Thanks in advance

Will

Well, I am in the "bad girl" category.

I can have seasonal fall allergies that will stuff me up a bit especially first thing in the morning. I have found that a Claritin D will clear it up nicely. I also use Afrin nasal spray.

If I felt congested before a dive, when I decend, I take it VERY slowly. I will equalize every foot or two and hold the depth a moment or two longer to give myself ample time to adjust.

So, no help here, unless you are looking for a partner in crime. It is one of those taboo discussions. Really falls into the do as I say, not as I do category.

A drug's effect might cease underwater. That would be problematic.

Whenever I travel to tropical sites, I end up with nose congestion due to ridiculously excessive A/C in cars, shops, restaurants...

In most cases, snorting a saturated saline solution (add as much salt as possible to tap water) will provide instant relief. It's quite unpleasant, but it works. My travel buddies call this procedure a "Spanish Kleenex" :)

It's like an ultimate nasal spray. And your nose will soak in (a small amount of) saltwater throughout the dive :)

If a Spanish Kleenex doesn't work, I just skip the dive. I'm not much of a gambler.

You will get a dozen posts telling you not to dive while congested. The average Scubaboarder is so risk averse I don't know how he gets out of bed in the morning. If you can clear, you can dive. A lot of people dive congested and a lot of people take decongestants to dive--just be aware of the risks of reverse-block and forceful valsalva maneuvers.

I personally have allergies all the time, so if I didn't dive with a stopped up nose.........I'd never dive.

Another seasonal allergic reporting in. Two Sudafed or equivalent 2 hours before I expect to hit the water works for me. I do not use nose drops or spray; I find the effect wears off very suddenly.

I don't think of this as all that taboo or controversial, it's just one of those things everyone knows they maybe shouldn't do but some people do anyway. The important thing is to be honest with yourself how much of a problem you're having and know what the right thing is for you, and not ignore that because you really want to dive.

I think it's actually pretty common for a person to have one side a little stuffed in the morning without having a cold, allergies, or anything special going on. If you're clear once you're up and around and you say you have no problem equalizing I'm not sure you really have an issue. Now if you are having trouble descending and are forcing it, that's a bad idea because of the potential for causing injury or having to deal with a reverse block on the way up.

I start to have trouble clearing after a few days of a lot of diving, I can do it but it gets slower and slower. It's not really congestion, my sinuses just start to rebel or something. I've found that proplugs help me a lot. I often take a 12 hour Sudafed for the day which helps - another of those things "they" say not to do that lots of people do anyway. (I've earned the hard way that the 4-6 hour Sudafed is a bad idea for me.) I've recently found an ibuprofen once a day helps reduce inflamation. But, I know the difference, for me, when this is ok and when I should be staying the heck out of the water.

I have been to GPs and ENTs for sinus problems for years, some allergies some infections. They will give you some sort of decongestant spray that is geiven to them fred, but requires a prescription. I have used several and got varying relief. As with the others, if I never dove with any congestion, I would never get to dive. I have found a solution that works for me. I use a saline nasal rinse. You can get them at any drugstore for only a few dollars. I start using it once in the morning and once in the evening a week before diving. If you seem to get unstuffy around salt water, this is an excellent way to get cleared up without meds. The brand i use is Neilmed. They make pressure and gravity fed models. Give it a try.

wow - i posted that message only a few hours ago and I get 7 replies. incredible. thank you so much all your thoughts and advice. I was getting quite depressed at the idea of spending a whole week in Egypt without diving especially whilst three friends all have an amazing time.

i will definitely try the saline solutions and also some Sudafed. i think the advice to just take is slow and not force it has got to be the right way to go.

this forum is great....

Will

I've only had the same problem as you over the past 50 some odd years. Over 46 of those have been diving years. The best solution for me is go dive and blow some chunks.

Gary D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom