The "Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training" prerequisite for PADI Divemaster

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

parachute

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am considering doing a PADI Divemaster course or internship. I am a PADI Rescue Diver, and before I began training for that, I had competed an SDI CPROX course which satisfied the EFR Primary and Secondary Care prereq. It also included some O2 emergency training.

That was over 2 years ago, so I would need to get recertification in EFR Primary and Secondary Care training. My question is, Does the PADI Divemaster prereq of "Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training" specifically include emergency O2 training? I ask this because I have recently taken an American Heart Association First Aid course and now have 1st Aid Certification for the next 2 yrs, and I had planned on taking a CPR & AED training course soon at a local non-dive-shop training center, but this course does not include any emergency O2 training. It is only "CPR & AED training for Community & Workplace", nationally recognized and accepted by American Safety and Health Institute, and American Heart Association.

Is Emergency O2 training a prerequisite for PADI Divemaster?

Thanks!

Rescue Diver is a prerequisite to Divemaster according to the PADI website. In the rescue diver course they will cover the O2 training, at least they did for me.

It is optional to cover O2 administration in the EFR course(s). You do however have to learn about it on the Rescue course though as you already know.

In other words, your AHA first Aid course is fine as a prerequisite for the DM training, even if it doesn't cover O2 admin.

best to double check with PADI - I see the OP state its "CPR & AED training for Community & Workplace" - the prereq for DM is :
Completed EFR Primary and Secondary Care training within 24 months" - which includes secondary care first aid. a starigth CPR/AED class doesn't cover that.

During Rescue Course we had to assemble the 02 unit once and no one got it right so mistakes were pointed out. Before taking DM I had the owner go over it again for me and wrote the steps down. It's not rocket science of course, but I can't believe most would remember it years later after doing it once. Same thing with taking EFR or similar course once every 2-3 years. So I review the manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom