The Cave ~ Movie Filmed in Yucatan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EricJ

Contributor
Reaction score
Los Osos (San Luis Obispo County) California
# of dives
500 - 999
Last summer while doing a cenote dive with Hidden Worlds on the Yucatan Penninsula, I noticed that they were filiming dive scenes for a movie.

That movie is The Cave, and it's suppose to come out on August 26th.

Check out the Trailor It doesn't look like my style of movie, but the dive scenes look interesting.

I heard/read that a great amount was filmed in Romania and a large indoor tank for the cave-ins etc. Still looks good, check the similar thread link at the bottom of the page for the other threads on this film. It should give at least some idea to those who dont dive caves what one looks like on the inside and why some of us do that kind of diving. :wink:

I was fortunate to be part of the Underwater Unit for the filming that was done in Mexico. Most of the "beauty shots" were filmed in Mexico, while most of the action shots were done on the set in Romania.

Ron: are you speaking of Heather? Just asking because there were very few of us women on that unit and she lives in Canada...

Maya:
I was fortunate to be part of the Underwater Unit for the filming that was done in Mexico. Most of the "beauty shots" were filmed in Mexico, while most of the action shots were done on the set in Romania.

Ron: are you speaking of Heather? Just asking because there were very few of us women on that unit and she lives in Canada...
I believe her name was Opeal. Was Heather from Montreal? If so,I met her too.

How did you get the underwater gig? I worked as a safety diver on a frozen river scene back in Feb. The Movie is Called "Just Friends". Google it.It will be out for Christmas.

I would personally like to do "real underwater film work". I was a
stunt diver on a "Disasters of the Century" once as well. I have video production and photography background as well.

Ron

I was hired by Karst Productions, Inc. (Wes Skiles' company). Karst did all of the u/w filming for CAVE, as well as training the talent, providing technical assistance, stunts and stunt divers, etc. both in Mexico and in Romania. Wes was the u/w Unit Director and Jill Heinerth of Karst was Asst. Director in Mexico and in Romania. look up www.karstproductions.com, you will see their other films, etc.

Although I am a cave diver, I was not diving as part of the unit, my job was all on the surface. It was hard work but great fun with a fantastic group of people. There were 3 women on this team, me, Jill Heinerth, and Heather Moore.

The other week i was at a seminar in Tampa and saw Ross Ambrose, whilst not know for being one of the explorers of Karst is the marketing guy. He mentioned that he was in film-making in High Springs, and i just wondered - now what company could that be??? At that time he was only an OW diver himself, but said he was thinking of doing caves one day - guess he has some good people around him to instruct him. It's a small world it seems....

Sure is a small world. Ross is a good guy.....he just recommended my help on another project - so I will say he's a great guy! CAVE is probably not a film I would ordinarily rush to go see, scary movies not being my style...but it will be great fun to go see this one!

Maya:
It was hard work but great fun with a fantastic group of people. There were 3 women on this team, me, Jill Heinerth, and Heather Moore.

I totally had a senior moment yesterday while posting this. Jitka Hynovia was the other woman on the crew - awesome tech/cave diver who was one of the stunt doubles for the actors. Sorry Jitka!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom