The Care & Feeding of Your O2 Cell

What do you do to care for your O2 cell?

• Nothing.

Votes: 8 42.1%
  • I put a cap on it, and that's it.

Votes: 3 15.8%
  • I seal it in a pill bottle or baggie or something.

Votes: 5 26.3%
  • I seal it in a container with inert gas.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I seal it in a container and refrigerate it.

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • Other (see my post).

Votes: 2 10.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Inman

Advisor
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
How do you care for your O2 cell (or don't you)?

Answer the poll above, then give us your reasons. And for fun, please tell us the O2 cell brand(s) you own.

I just got it, so it's still in a bag. It's an item that we all know will deteriorate over time. So I just plan to budget replacing it once a year.

I feel bad for the rebreather guys! :)

-P

I put it in a zip-lock baggy with all the air squeezed out of it.

Long-term storage could be done in a mason jar with argon or nitrogen added. Just gently squirt some argon in from your suit inflation bottle, for instance. Mason jars are good because they seal well and remain air-tight.

Hi Rick,

When I built my first El Cheapo 4 or 5 years ago, I used to really baby the oxygen cell. I put a cap on it, stuffed it into an airtight bag and stored it in the refridgerator. That sensor lasted less than 18 months. Now I have three Oxygen analyzers, and I just leave the cells in place (one is permanently mounted in my Nitrox Stick) out in the garage. The garage is usually pretty cold, which may help, but the airtight routine just didn't seem to buy me any time.

Two of my cells are more than two years old and are working just fine (all 3 still agree with each other). :D

YMMV

There was some discussion on another forum about placing 02 sensors in and out of inert gas often. There was a indication that this process deteriorates the sensor faster. I haven't been that bothered about it to find the real answer yet from the manufacturers. The fact is that they decay just like a battery when exposed to O2. At some point, they become useless. Sometimes they quit for no reason at all. Each sensor has its own personality; some with slow rise time, some with fast, some that burn out quick, some that seem to last forever. If you know that you're not going to use it for several months, you may gain something by storing it in inert gas. I wouldn't do it if using them weekly.

When storing in inert gas, take note that a O2 sensor will take a period of time (several hours) to "wake up" before it stabilizes and reads accurately. FWIW, I have been told by an extremely experienced ANDI instructor that one can speed up this "wake up" process by exposing a sensor to 100% O2 for a few hours.

PerroneFord:
I feel bad for the rebreather guys! :)
-P

Hey, stop that! :D

Ya don't have to replace them all at once. In fact, it's advised that you specifically don't do that. Stagger the replacements with differing born dates. There is risk with having all of the sensors with the same born date as they could decay at the same rate and all produce the same false reading with the voting logic in some RB systems. Another one of those "gotchyas". :)

I do nothing for my O2 sensor except replace it when it goes bad. I also don't rinse my dive gear and have been known to show up to dive sites with stains on my shirt, the same shirt I wore on the previous dive trip. :wink:

I have the OMS analyzer with the THREE year sensor. I recently replaced it, and I did get about three years out of it. I feel bad for the other sensor guys. :D

It might not make that big a difference, but the analyzer comes in a pelican case, so this might prolong the life somewhat after all the O2 inside the case is burned up by the sensor, but I use it frequently, so I don't think this is material.

do it easy:
...and have been known to show up to dive sites with stains on my shirt, the same shirt I wore on the previous dive trip.
Oh, that was you. I'm the guy who pulled over and gave you a dollar.

Rick Inman:
Oh, that was you. I'm the guy who pulled over and gave you a dollar.
Thanks, pretty soon, I'll have enough $$$ so that I can buy a marker and make a proper sign for panhandling. "Please Help -Need Scuba Gear and Beer"

I've worked with O2 cells for several years in a research capacity. I wouldn't call myself an expert by any means, but I've had enough experience with a variety of different types of oxygen sensing technologies. The type of cells used in the SCUBA industries are the galvanic cell type. These sensors do act a lot like a battery. They use a semi-permeable membrane which oxygen diffuses across, creating a chemical reaction and thus generating a measureable voltage change (all related to the concentration of oxygen).
PacketSniffer is right on the money with everything he said. Storing O2 is a bit of a crap shoot. There's no point in going to the bother of "storing" a sensor for periods much shorter than a couple weeks.
My best advice:
1.) Keep them dry and away from high humidity.
2.) Keep them away from excessive heat. (ie. don't leave them in the sun or in the trunk of your car on a hot day.)
3.) For extended periods of storage; zip lock bag with dry air, in the fridge.

Putting O2 sensors in the fridge for extended periods of storage has a couple advantages. It keeps them dry, as the cool air lowers the dew point and keeps the gas drier. The cooler temperatures slows down the chemical reaction within the cell, and extends the lifetime of the cell.
Although filling the bag with nitrogen is a good idea in theory, it may not be worth the practice. O2 sensors are partial pressure devices, and as such are extremely sensitive to pressure changes. You can very easily damage an O2 cell by pressurizing or depressurizing it. That's why I might lean toward not putting an O2 sensor in a bottle as opposed to a zip lock bag. If you were to drop the sensor in a sealed bottle, and then put in the fridge, the pressure drop inside bottle may actually damage the membrane of the cell.
Having said all of the above, PacketSniffer is absolutely right. You can do everything right, and still have a dud cell that only lasts a year or less. Doing the above can't hurt though.
Hope that helps.
Max

Back
Top Bottom