The Captain is 100 Today Jacques-Yves Cousteau (1910-1997

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

1101600328_400.jpg

Put a collection of some video clips, several vintage ones in French dating from 1943, some photos, various information on Jacques Cousteau at the link below. He influenced a lot of people in many places around the world. Lots of us grew up watching his specials and wondering what if?

Jacques Yves Cousteau, 100 years Later - FKA Kiteboarding Forums

It's hard to believe that he would have been 100.

There is rarely a time when I'm immersed in that Silent World that I don't have a fleeting thought of JYC or the Calypso. I, like most divers born in the 50s I grew up on Sea Hunt and “The Undersea world of Jacques Cousteau” the big difference being, his world was real.
But long before the TV series I knew of him. He was the one who invented my, (my dad's) DX overpressure, after all, his name is on the label, along with Gagnon of course.
So on this, the One hundredth anniversary of his birth, one must take stock of his, and his crew’s accomplishments as they sailed from one discovery to another, aboard the flagship, Calypso.

Just think, when He and Gagnon invented the Aqualung, the world was at war, and when he began his quest to unlock the secrets of the deep blue we were engaged in a cold war, hell bent on out doing the other guy at any cost, detonating nuclear bombs at places like Bikini Atoll and flushing anything we didn’t want to see again in to our oceans. His timing couldn’t have been better, because with out those efforts, we would not have gained the knowledge and understanding of the oceans importance to this planet. The voyages of the Calypso opened the eyes of many, and in no small way helped save the seas from certain peril.

So here we are reflecting on the life of an inventor, innovator, philosopher, visionary and Captain. He will continue to be sorely missed, especially now, with 12 million gallons of oil (and counting) plus millions more gallons of chemical dispersants pumped in to the Gulf. Who will Captain our ship through these troubled waters now?

I have been following the links of these pages, and found that they led to a French film, Le Monde du Silence Revisite - Film Couplet about the Cousteau Society's voyages of their new ship to retrace the Calypso's voyages. It is well worth watching, even if you don't (as I don't) understand French. They went back to the Red Sea, and dove again on the Conshelf II site, with Claude Westly diving with them. Without understanding much, it was a very moving tribute to Captain Cousteau.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYmLwbAbwJA&feature=player_embedded#!

Double Diver, do you still have that DX Overpressure Breathing regulator your Dad had bought? If so, I'd like to share my diving experiences with my DX Overpressure Breathing regulator, which I have rehabilitated and enjoy diving now. It really breaths well.

SeaRat

Double Diver, do you still have that DX Overpressure Breathing regulator your Dad had bought? If so, I'd like to share my diving experiences with my DX Overpressure Breathing regulator, which I have rehabilitated and enjoy diving now. It really breaths well.

Yes I do! And as a matter for fact I had it in the pool for Fathers day and was teaching my 8 year old daughter with it. I believe that all new divers should be spoiled with bubbles behind the from an early age. I will be posting about it soon, so I'll let you know.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom