The Bladder Issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tkd, get a mirror & see what your perineum looks like in a sit - like maybe on the edge of the bathtub but scooched forward. if it is in the realm of 'flat & smooth' - not perfectly so, but no huge divots - it should work fine. if there *are* huge divots, it could possibly work still, but without, i'd say it's a cinch. i know there are women who have given vaginal birth using them.

After a few Houdini quick exits from my drysuit to go pee in the woods at our quarry dives I decided it was time to join the pee-on-a-tree club and pop a hole in my leak free drysuit. I figure in the long run it will be cheaper than replacing the gear I lose or break by flinging it off me as I scrabble up the bank and into the woods. I'm a rec diver that wants to stay down longer and enjoy every second I can underwater. So I thought I'd do what most of the guys w drysuits I dive w have already done -- P-valve.

The She-P is what I would like to use-- But, of course I can't do anything the easy way with my silly corn allergy. I'm trying out different adhesives to find something that I can both put on and take off without needing an Epi-Pen. Till then, I'm experimenting with this adhesive free setup:

Amphibian Productions » Female P-Valve

It's a bit tricky and a backup is a good idea. I've been a bit damp, but haven't had wet thermals after a dive. I do pee very carefully and tend to adjust myself like a ball player. Clearly I'm not trying to impress the fish.

If you have questions about your ability to use the She Pee, write to Laura James with She Pee North America. ( ljjames@me.com )She is amazing. She provided me with a wealth of information. I was so thrilled with all her help. She also sent me a little sample of Urobond to patch test for allergic relations and explained the issues with adhesive removal and disinfecting the She Pee and my allergy safe oils /disinfectants. I was very impressed with the depth of her knowledge on my wierd medical issue - so folks with medical questions about your ability to use the She-P, she's your person!

I eventually ordered my P-Valve and connectors from her and per her recommendation am waiting till/if I have all the safe elements necessary before investing in a She-P. Great customer service.
Representing a giant step forward in the world of continence aids for women!

---------- Post added January 11th, 2013 at 10:06 AM ----------

Amphibian Productions » Female P-Valve

i haven't installed a p-valve on my drysuit yet, but i know a few people who use this method

Hi Rivers, I just realized that your buddies are using the same method I am working with. Do they have any improvements / recommendation on the original posting?

Thanks!

Wow -- that doesn't look like a comfortable thing to wear between dives on the boat, unless it's softer than it looks. And I don't understand how it seals, if you use it while you are diving and therefore horizontal.

It's not a She-P by any stretch of the imagination. It got a little pinchy once and I do a rather slow and careful tinkle with it. I floated around just practice peeing for ages ( just hanging out at 15 ft wondering if I was going to need new thermals.)

I'm not thrilled w it and I'm trying to see if padding the edges with a cut up go-girl might work. It is semi-rigid, but you are not too aware of it until you are climbing out. That's when I got a pinch.

My big issue is being able to remove the Urobond from me and from the she-p. I haven't found a safe mineral oil and I can't use the removal wipes on my skin. So for now this is the best I can do.

Here's a link to another, less DIY version. Quality Diving Equipment by Custom Divers - Shewee Go - Urination System for Women

Wow -- that doesn't look like a comfortable thing to wear between dives on the boat, unless it's softer than it looks. And I don't understand how it seals, if you use it while you are diving and therefore horizontal.
From what I gather from speaking to my friends who use it (including the author of the article) is it isn't too bad, but a non absorbent medical grade padding type thing is being looked into to cut down on the rubbing

Thanks for the thread and contributions ladies, it pretty much got me sorted. I am probably going to go the old fashioned diaper route for now myself (warm water diver turning cold water / drysuit diver) and not get a p-valve installed in my new drysuit to work with the she-p as I have issues peeing in a wetsuit, I worried about even being able to pee in a drysuit with something glued to my private parts. A diaper with a pad for extra protection (remove the pad if used and still have diaper for dive #2) and perhaps since I'm warm and not actually cold, I won't have to pee anyway... who knows.

I asked male diver friends what they do and if they'd worn a diaper and they pretty much said 'never' but I guess being male, things like this are easier for them. I did a cenote dive last summer in Mexico and it was the coldest water in my wetsuit yet and I had to go soooo badly (but couldn't during the dive but that's a whole other issue I need to work on) so I can only imagine the discomfort of not being able to pee in a drysuit. Gotta get used to peeing while diving period. Perhaps having a diaper on while diving will help - who knows. As for the wetsuit - read an article that recommended kneeling on the sand at the bottom to try - gonna give that a go soon. Kind of a pain to always have to hold onto a boat ladder or my buddy's tank at the surface.

Any ladies have suggestions on how to actually 'release'... or shall I check for other threads? :)

Edit: I found the thread for peeing in case anyone else wants the info: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/advanced-scuba-discussions/397591-help-me-pee.html

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom