The blackhole that is Oceanic service...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oceanic has always been 5 star

Thank you, to all of you that posted useful comments. And i am sure this will get worked out before i head down to Grand Cayman in mid May. Again Thanks

The biggest red flag in this thread is you needing to get a number from your LDS. I worked with one that had the habit of waiting until they got a couple items and then sending them back to save a few lousy bucks for shipping. I still use my Veo 200 and have some other oceanic stuff. At this point I would not take any of it back to the LDS I got it from. I'd call Oceanic and deal with them directly. They are very good about that. Not like some that say you must go through the dealer.

The biggest red flag in this thread is you needing to get a number from your LDS. I worked with one that had the habit of waiting until they got a couple items and then sending them back to save a few lousy bucks for shipping. I still use my Veo 200 and have some other oceanic stuff. At this point I would not take any of it back to the LDS I got it from. I'd call Oceanic and deal with them directly. They are very good about that. Not like some that say you must go through the dealer.

Well Jim, I guess it depends on the LDS. My Veo 200 decided it was always in the water, hell on the battery. Stopped by the Oceanic dealer with the computer and asked for a price on the repair. He called Oceanic while I was standing there, got a quote and had the computer back to me in less than a week. Great service all the way around.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

My main Oceanic gear items are (4) Pro Plus IIs, my most recent 'service' experience was the return of 2 of them to the factory (Scubatoys handled the arrangements) for some work. One unit had stripped battery compartment screws, the other was reading 250-300 psi 'low'. The bill was higher than I'd originally been quoted, but apparently Oceanic did some sort of standardized overhaul/check out on both units, as my final repair bill was a 'flat rate' of $ 160 each. Turn around time was something like 2-3 weeks, which was fine and about what I'd expected, so no problem there. (I have plenty of spare gear for such contingencies, so I wasn't very sensitive to turn-around times.) I'll comment that the computer battery compartment screws do need to be made from something more durable than the rather soft (easily srtipped) metal they're presently made of, but with respect to turn around times, Oceanic met what I'd consider reasonable turn around time frames.

I had a recent dispute with Oceanic over an apparent battery function design flaw in some of their wrist computers, that they insisted on applying warranty restrictions to. I disagreed with that, but at the least they were responsive. I was always able to reach them by phone and turnaround time was fine.

Well Jim, I guess it depends on the LDS. My Veo 200 decided it was always in the water, hell on the battery. Stopped by the Oceanic dealer with the computer and asked for a price on the repair. He called Oceanic while I was standing there, got a quote and had the computer back to me in less than a week. Great service all the way around.

Bob
------------------------------
I may be old, but I’m not dead yet.

Agreed it does depend on the dealer. I just happened to get one that was not as on the ball as I'd have liked.

This just in, my LDC won't give me the service number for my Atom2. They said that they do a 100grand of business with Oceanic and they will handle it for me. I guess i shouldn't be surprised by any of this nonsense... I doubt i shall see my computer ever again.

If the point of this is to get results for your computer, why not take up the offer made here by Oceanic in post #2 and see what you can find out and get going?

This just in, my LDC won't give me the service number for my Atom2. They said that they do a 100grand of business with Oceanic and they will handle it for me. I guess i shouldn't be surprised by any of this nonsense... I doubt i shall see my computer ever again.

Did your LDS tell you wouldn't see your computer again or are you assuming that they are not working with Oceanic with your interests in mind?
You should have it back by now and if there is a weak link it sounds like it is your LDS.
My experiences with Oceanic have been very satisfactory, not always inexpensive, but usually timely and their communications has been top notch.

I suggest a PM to Doug and let him know the LDS so he can help if possible.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom