The Big Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dwm1

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I will be staying on the Big Island next week, can some recommend a company to dive with. I will be staying on the west side of the Island at the Fairmont Orchid. I have not dived in a couple of years so I want something pretty simple at first. Also Do I need a full wet suit or will a shortie be alright? Any tips in addition would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Doug

I'm a fan of Jack's Diving Locker, I've gone out with them quite a few times and always had a good time. As for the wet suit, depends on your comfort level. I dive a full length 5mm there, some of the locals do two piece suits, some people I've seen go without a suit entirely.

We'd love to have you join us. If you'd like to do a quick refresher before you boat dives, we do offer that. We have a beautiful onsite pool. Most of our staff wears 5mm suits. If you are not cold-natured a full 3mm may do the trick. Give us a call or drop us a line.
Mahalo, Angela and the staff of Jack's

There are a number of well regarded dive outfits in the Kona-Kailua area. I've used Big Island Divers many times and never had a bad experience. Nice people, not hustlers, big and small boats. Like Jack's, they have a full service shop in town.

Try the evening manta dive if you've never done it, or can't get enough! Several outfits do the dive, all to the same place (leaving out of the boat harbor just south of the airport). The two tank version includes a twilight dive at the same spot, which has always been glorious - and often includes mantas too.

You might mix it up a little. Jack's and the other Kona boats usually head south. From the Orchid you could also consider Kohala Divers or Blue Wilderness who dive north. The reef is notably different in either direction. BW has a shop close to the Orchid in the Queens Shops at Waikoloa, they use the boat launches at Puako or Kawaihae. Kohala Divers has a shop in Kawaihae and moors their boat there. Both are good outfits and much closer than driving down to Honokohau. I have been out many times with Denise at BW, always happy, have good friends who regularly use Kohala, same story.

I use a 3mm shorty much of the year, local water temps are still up and that is probably enough for most folks, unless you are prone to being cold.

Decent diving right in front of the Orchid, you might throw in a shore dive or two! Try just to the north of the cove. We have been diving from the beach access at Holoholokai, just the other side of the golf course.

I did around 18 dives in 5 days in september in Kona and did nearly all my dives with Big Island Divers and can highly recommend them. I dove with a 3mm full suit and had no probs, but i also don't get cold easily.

mkzwo

Back
Top Bottom