The big guys quietly pushing out the little guy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another point about OW training. Our team trains divers from scratch (ie we give them their OW). They all start at the bottom even if they already have their OW cert. What is very interesting to me is that the OW certed (or higher) trained guys always struggle more than the guys coming in with zero dive training. They have to unlearn all the bad habits they either developed or were/weren't taught.

Very true Bridge.... We brought on a "divemaster" last year. He still is having issues and will take more work than others with lesser or no training. PSD is totally different than recreation diving.

To answer another question a few posts back. We use our LSD for tank hydros, masks, fins, and other gear we can use or modify to use for our purpose. We have done a lot of business with them as well as other local teams. We also go factory direct when we can for items like AGAs (OTS) comm gear (again OTS) manifold blocks (Amron) and other commercial type gear the LDS either can't or won't stock.

Like Blades and others have said, we have to go to bid on a lot of gear purchases and that, more times than not, decides were we go. Often times the LDS can outbid, sometimes they can't or simply can't get what we're after.

In the science community (at least at my institution) everyone takes the class and starts out as a 30 ft diver. It really does not matter what their sports diving credential is, their operating in a new community with different tasks, different skills, different attitudes, different traditions and different approaches. In most cases (not all, but most) previous training is a detriment and the more previous training the more difficult. I'd expect that the same is true in PSD.

In EXACTLY the same way ERDI has a relationship with SDI and TDI ... in EXACTLY the same way PSDA has a relationship with IDEA ... in EXACTLY the same way LGS has a relationship with ACUS ... Dive Rescue International has recently restated their relationship with SSI. This is a relationship that has been in effect since 1977.

Now you use the term EXACTLY the same way, I am just curious. Does SSI own DRI? Clearling SDI, TDI and ERDI are the same company, International Training. They aren't alligned with each other or partnered with each other, but they are owned by the same person. I think that does make a difference.

Maybe Blades missed this one but I'm fairly certain that SSI does not own DRI
ACUC (not ACUS:D) doesn't own LGS either.
Not sure about PSDA but I doubt it is owned by IDEA

Intresting that TDI owns ERDI... I agree, I think it would make a difference

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom