The best wet suit, fins, and mask

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I am completely new to diving but absolutely loving it! I just got accepted to a marine biology graduate program in the UK and need some gear. I have always used rented "crap" stuff so I'm ready to make the first step into this new lifestyle. At this point all I need is a suit, mask and fins. I have a max of 1,000 USD to drop into this gear so I really want to get the best. I so I need your recommendations on what wet suit, fins, and masks I should get. Thanks in advance for any help that you guys can render!!!

It all depends on the fit. You can get the best "Rated" gear and if it doesn't fit it might as well be junk. Then again you could get lower quality gear with a good fit and it could be the best.

The type and quality of suit will depend on what you're doing and where you will be at.

Gary D.

The best wet suit, fins, and mask are the ones that I am wearing when diving.

However, they may NOT be the best for you. You said you have rented gear. What did you like/not like about it. That should be your starting point.

Eventually, you will have to make a decision. Buy from a place that has a liberal return policy; if it is not right for you, try something else.

Good Luck!

Ok, So I did go to a dive shop and got a lot of good ideas...I was originally thinking an O'Neill Psycho 2 but was told that O'Neill wetsuits were more for surfing than diving. I was suggested to look at the Aqua Lung wetsuits. What do you guys think?
As for the mask I was told to go with a Favola or Mystic...Have any of you guys used either of those masks? Finally, for fins I was told to go with a Kinesis or Mako...

I just want fins with good propulsion...I hate the split fins! and a warm well built wet suit...

*The dive shop also mentioned a wetsuit called "Bare" velocity anybody have any experience with them or the velocity wetsuit?

Try JetFins. They are comparatively inexpensive and great propulsion. I liked them.

The "best" is what fits, and has the design features you need.

I own 3 different masks, 5 very different pairs of fins, 4 different suits, and 5 BC's. They each get used when appropriate for the dive, and throughout the year, I'll have used each piece at least on a couple of dives.

The "best" can be a very variable term. You might try hanging around folks that dive as you will, and see what works for them.

All the best, James

As for the mask I was told to go with a Favola or Mystic...Have any of you guys used either of those masks?

First off don’t let anyone tell you what mask to buy. Masks are an item that is truly personal with a very narrow range of fit.

Go to a shop with a large selection of masks. Try them ALL on. When you find one you like wear it around the shop for a while. Then you can decide if that is the one you like and want.

A word of caution: If you get another mask of the same model, style and size off the shelf still in the box repeat what you did with it earlier. Just because they are the same they may not be and this other one may not fit as well.

Gary D.

You're getting great advice here! Hopefully, I can add to it a bit.

Mask: As others said, it needs to fit well, no matter if it's a cheap or expensive mask. Try them all on and buy one that: 1- Seals well (no leaking allowed), 2- Is comfortable, 3- Gives you good vision. Forget is the salesman says this one is the best...:shakehead: The best mask is the one that answers the criteria I gave above.

Fins: There are a lot of good models out there. And a lot of gimmick models...:shakehead: Ideally, would be to try them out first, but that's not always possible. Go for a good reputed brand without gimmicks, that fits your foot (and booty)well. You might change brands/ models later on as you learn more what you like/ dislike. That's the way it is!:14:

Wetsuit: What temperatures are you going to be diving? Buy an exposure suit adequate for the conditions you will be diving (for me, that's a 7mm full suit with a 7mm hooded vest on top!!!:shakehead:). Then, when you get that figured out, you need to get good fit. Brands with wide size ranges (such as BAREBARE Canada / USA Currency Selection) can often come close to a custom fit (but obviously nothing beats custom). I personally own 2 BARE wetsuits: 1 Velocity 3/2mm and 1 Arctic 7mm full and hooded vest 7mm. I find them very comfortable fitting for me. They flex very well. But you need to try on a wide range of suits to be able to compare and make a good choice.

Well, that's pretty much what I have to say! Good luck!:coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom