The best value for diving in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

funkyspelunker:
. Anyone know anything about their partner, Bini Bon divers? I'd just be renting a truck, tanks and weights from them so it doesn't really matter that much unless someone has nightmare stories.

There is nothing wrong with Bon Bini divers as far as I know. I have not dove with them but from what I have seen/heard (they share the ajoining docks with Buddy Dive) they lock up pretty tight at night. No real biggie but if you want to get tanks early, late or decide to do a last minute night dive it might be a problem. Buddy by contrast has 24 hr access to tanks and they have a lot nicer place to pick up tanks for off site shore diving. Another thing to consider is BD has Nitrox (32&36), I don't recall it being availible at Bon Bini. Liz @ GRI can arrange diving at either place and having dove with Buddy several times, wanting Nitrox and prefering their drive up station, she is booking there for me instead of BB at the same cost (plus $100 for unlimited Nitrox).

I can attest to being eaten alive at dawn. We were playing with the dolphins on Baileys Key and weren't paying attention to the sun. As soon as it hit the horizon, I was mobbed by the skeeters. I had usually worn 'Off' and only got a couple of bites the whole vacation UNTIL I forgot to put it on the afternoon we ventured to Bailey's Key.

I did have a few no-see-ums catch me, but overall I would say that most of the problems were at dusk - wear deet when the sun is going down - other then that we didn't have problems.

As to the conditions in December, I cannot answer that. RoatanMan (or others) in the Central America forums will be able to give you more insight on this.

I will definitely return - just because of the value. You can see pics and our trip report on scubaaddict.com if you are thinking of going.

Hi,
I would just add this advice.
Bonaire is very different from Cozumel in a great way.
At Bonaire, you will be by yourself all the time.
I was a little challenged when me and my buddy dove in certain divesites with no one around. A cliff between me and the truck and the first hand that can help miles away.
If ever something goes wrong... be prepared to take everything into your hands.
No Divemasters around to help.
Getting in and out of the water on slipy rocks with your equipement may be challenging after the third dive...

I am planning on returning to Bonaire soon with my buddy because of the beauty of the reef.
My wife does'nt have a lot of dives in her "carnet de plongee" so she would not consider Bonaire until she gets a lot more experience. She would prefer having a divemaster, help and rescue equipement near the dive site.

Great place but very different
Ciao

funkyspelunker:
What are your opinions on the best values for diving / general travel in the caribbean? From what I've read, seems pretty expensive everywhere, but where do you get the biggest bang for your buck?

No question about it...Utila wins hands down. Do not expect the fancy (in general) There are only three all-inclusives, two have beach diving. We like to "walk on" and usually stay for a month or more.

The island economy is diving based...very competitive..good training oportunities.

Regards,

funkyspelunker:
I've heard that Roatan is terrific, but also that there are some nasy bugs on the beaches there, is this true? What are the conditions like for diving in Dec?

December is rain in the Bay islands. Sand flies are always there but manageable.

Regards,

funkyspelunker:
Which two ops offer the beach diving? Do you prefer one over the other?

Deep Blue Resort and Laguna Beach Resort both have beach diving. They are all inclusive. They are witin about 400 meters of each other. Deep Blue is the newest and is located one three of the best dive locations on the south side. Laguna Beach is on the lagoon channel. We like the family owned operation at Deep Blue Resort. They also have a very well run dive operation in town. We habitually dive with the operation in town.

Regards,

funkyspelunker:
What are your opinions on the best values for diving / general travel in the caribbean? From what I've read, seems pretty expensive everywhere, but where do you get the biggest bang for your buck?

Cozumel....always a winner for the best diving. Check out Funjet to book hotel packages. We like Hotel Cozumel, $389.00 pp AI and we book our own air through Continental. Depending on where you will be flying out of can make the difference on the airfare. Dive With Martin has small, fast boats. $250.00 for 5 days/2 tanks and will give a 10% discount off of that for cash. It also includes a video and a night dive :)

Back
Top Bottom