The best value for diving in the Caribbean

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yep, you gotta factor in total costs, and that means the oft-overlooked airfare. Flights to/from Cozumel can get absurdly cheap.

The Miami-based liveaboards to the northwest Bahamas are very reasonable, too. Some of the anal folks wouldn't consider that "Caribbean Diving", however.

NDH:
We would love to do Bonaire next year but the dang airfare from Houston is $857 which kind of put a hurt on that idea. We just returned from Cocoview, Roatan which I thought was great because of all the shore diving I did along with the boat diving 31 in all. But the clarity of the water in Cozumel is great but Roatan I thought had better marine life.

Have you tried a travel agent? I know Air Jamaica flys out of Houston. Our flights out of Raleigh via Atlanta on Delta/AJ typically run in the $650 to 700 range. I would think it should not be any higher from Houston. AJ tickets seem hard to get at a good price on line, thats why I use a TA. I just got $450 out of Miami on AJ, I had a free ticket to Fla so that worked of me.

Back in August, one of the Raleigh carriers was starting up direct flights on weekends to Nassau. Wished I'd known about THAT before connecting in Fort Lauderdale... AND Charlotte. Yuk.

so I've found a consensus to be Bonaire. Now I've started checking into prices there, is there any reason why Buddy Dive Resort is so overpriced compared to the other places to stay, is it worth it? Also, about how much are island-hopper flights from Aruba to Bonaire these days?

Buddy is on the water and it has a complete package, truck/condo/diving (unlimited air and 6 boat dives)/taxes and buffet breakfast. Nice place as well. All considered, it not a bad deal ,you have to look at what you get with each deal. Most of the cheaper places are not on the water, you have to rent your own truck, no boat dives (which you can drop from the BD package and save $100). Nothing wrong with them if you don't mind being on the water. For a first time, on the water is nice and the BD package has the advantage of being complete so you don't have to arrange anything yourself.

I just got back from a Blackbeard's Cruise which was great. For $839 I got in 18 dives which comes to about $46/dive including food, booze, and lodging. Great fun! (But not great bedding!)

herman:
Buddy is on the water and it has a complete package, truck/condo/diving (unlimited air and 6 boat dives)/taxes and buffet breakfast. Nice place as well. All considered, it not a bad deal ,you have to look at what you get with each deal. Most of the cheaper places are not on the water, you have to rent your own truck, no boat dives (which you can drop from the BD package and save $100). Nothing wrong with them if you don't mind being on the water. For a first time, on the water is nice and the BD package has the advantage of being complete so you don't have to arrange anything yourself.

One of my friends from SanDiego will be on Bonaire over Christmas week. The cost for their trip not including air fare is $779 ea. for 7 nights/ 6days of 3 tanks-boat(2am,1pm)/free breakfast and a seafront room. This is at the Divi Flamingo, now I think that that's a good deal! :dazzler1:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

caymaniac:
One of my friends from SanDiego will be on Bonaire over Christmas week. The cost for their trip not including air fare is $779 ea. for 7 nights/ 6days of 3 tanks-boat(2am,1pm)/free breakfast and a seafront room. This is at the Divi Flamingo, now I think that that's a good deal! :dazzler1:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

Don't know how he got that price.............that is very good. Oh, it's a special.........nice.

I think liveaboards definitely deserve consideration as they provide 5 divesper day,all you can eat and drink and a place to sleep in addition to better access to remote dive sites for about $1500/week (+/-) plus airfare. Suggest Explorer Ventures or Peter Hughes. Also suggest last minute discount from each as I know they exist. Good luck

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom