The best dives in Indo

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I thought you have been to Bali?....I've used Aqua Marine before and they have a great web site. I like the Tulamben area, can be crowded in some spots on shore with a few dive sites up and down the beach. Really like the coral gardens, monkey reef and the wreck usually has some good marine life on it.

You didn't read my post very carefully, Scott ... I said that following this thread was way better than reading the same opening question that gets asked here almost every day!

And yes, we've dived Bali ... :wink:

Last edited:
You didn't read my post very carefully, Scott ... I said that following this thread was way better than reading the same opening question that gets asked here almost every day!

And yes, we've dived Bali ... :wink:

He may have been joking and forgot the smilie.

BTW, Jake's takes are closer to reality. Many places in Indonesia and around Malaysia's Sabah are equally stunning in their own way. They all beat the hell out of the Caribbean but I just said that to change the fight, I mean, subject.

I have a chance to visit Indonesia DEEP 2011 early of this month. There's several "new" dive destinations is introduced and more and more land operator are operating at Raja Ampat. I don't know the quality and whether their location is at the best area, but for sure, the price is more realistic and even few can be considered cheap.
As an example, Papua Dive resort promo offer 7D/6N full board, A/C room, unlimited diving package for Rp. 7.5mil (less than USD 900), yes, conditions apply, but still not expensive.
Similarly with Wakatobi - there's more options to dive wakatobi at more realistic price.

Is there a web site to look at some of these specials from DEEP 2011 that you mentioned Wisnu? I like the Wakatobi option at a realistic price and more info on the Papua Dive Resort. Thanks!!

I thought I would throw this little nugget of information into the mix. At the end of our recent RA trip we stayed at KBR and went to a little video presentation by Kaj Maney. He is the head of dive operations for KBR. He has a clip from his trip to Sipadan that he showed us. He filmed a school of bumpheads for 3 and 1/2 minutes without stopping! He said they just kept coming and coming. It is pretty cool. At one point in the video he pans to one of his dive buddies and she just puts her hands up in amazement. If you visit KBR ask him to show you this clip along with all of his other awesome mini videos from Lembeh! Where else can you see a school that big of bumpheads?

As an example, Papua Dive resort promo offer 7D/6N full board, A/C room, unlimited diving package for Rp. 7.5mil (less than USD 900), yes, conditions apply, but still not expensive.

That price is not on their website. Wonder if it is exclusive as to whom it is offered to.

I thought I would throw this little nugget of information into the mix. At the end of our recent RA trip we stayed at KBR and went to a little video presentation by Kaj Maney. He is the head of dive operations for KBR. He has a clip from his trip to Sipadan that he showed us. He filmed a school of bumpheads for 3 and 1/2 minutes without stopping! He said they just kept coming and coming. It is pretty cool. At one point in the video he pans to one of his dive buddies and she just puts her hands up in amazement. If you visit KBR ask him to show you this clip along with all of his other awesome mini videos from Lembeh! Where else can you see a school that big of bumpheads?

We hung out for about 5 minutes in the school of bumpheads at Sipadan. Absolutely amazing experience!!! Sipadan is truly beyond brilliant!

Soory, I grabbed lot of brochure during exhibitions, make me mixed-up.
For raja ampat - the promo offer from raja ampat dive resort not papua dive resort. Raja Ampat Dive Resort, Raja Ampat Diving, you'll not find this offer in their web.
The offer valid min. 4 divers, Indonesian - but according to the guy I talked to, open for foreigner with slightly expensive.

For Wakatobi, other than the luxury wakatobi resort, the other option include wasage, tomea and patuno.

Last edited:
how is Alor for pelagics? heard good things about the coral and critters. i'm thinking of Alor/Flores next year. maybe Raja if costs come down.

regards the debate on Sipadan, i have only dived the Sumatra/Aceh region of Indo and have not been to FP so i'm not going to compare them with Sipadan. but it definitely matches any other place i have been to. each place has its own character and diving highlights. i doubt any of the places mentioned matches Maldives for mantas. some of the best coral i have seen was in Sogod Bay, Phils, just returned from Andamans and i have not seen so many napoleans anywhere. i liked the rock pinnacles and soft coral in the Similans, i love the wrecks in Sri Lanka. its hard to pick one location and it also depends on your interests. one of my friends did Palau but felt Sipadan was better value for money (and he dived Blue Corner 3 times) but also said some of his best dives were in the north Coral Sea. he also said he will gladly go back to all three.

i think Sipadan gives a nice all round experience in one location at a reasonable price. of course if you have been there more than a couple times then explore the rest of the world. but saying Sipadan/Malaysia is a waste is definitely way too strong.

just my opinion. all others respected :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom