THE BASICS OF DIVING BUOYANCY CONTROL - Abyss Ocean World Liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am all for neutral buoyancy during the dive except initial descent.
What I don't agree 100% is for someone to come up and not be perfectly horizontal. Looking up and perhaps being in 45 degree or more of trim helps with situational awareness letting you avoid obstacles. Yes a horizontally trimmed diver can and does look up too but this obsession with being horizontally trim in all phases of dives is a bit perplexing to me.

Be kind.:)

What I don't agree 100% is for someone to come up and not be perfectly horizontal. Looking up and perhaps being in 45 degree or more of trim helps with situational awareness letting you avoid obstacles.

Except that at 45 degrees every kick will move you upwards, as well as forward. Not necessarily what you want if you're trying to get to your partner to render aid, or kick down a little if your coming up too fast.

What I don't agree 100% is for someone to come up and not be perfectly horizontal. Looking up and perhaps being in 45 degree or more of trim helps with situational awareness letting you avoid obstacles. Yes a horizontally trimmed diver can and does look up too but this obsession with being horizontally trim in all phases of dives is a bit perplexing to me.

Be kind.:)
Agree. Also with descending. I was taught in Deep course to be at a 45 degree angle descending and not use the anchor line. You can see the surface for a while (not very important) and then more easily see the bottom than if descending vertically feet down). I don't usually do that--usually pull myself down the anchor line head first as fast as possible and still be with my buddy. Saves a bit on Air (I think) and bottom time. My buoyancy is good enough that I get horizontal in time to avoid a face full of sand.....

Except that at 45 degrees every kick will move you upwards, as well as forward. Not necessarily what you want if you're trying to get to your partner to render aid, or kick down a little if your coming up too fast.

Not being argumentative but I'm sure you can ascend without kicking. Tiny flicks of the fins can make your ascend while you look up . Similar to ESA but not an emergency. I think this is a style issue as well. For example some BCs need to be in upright position to dump air efficiently.

Oh, I don't know, descents are more controlled if you start neutral and just breathe yourself down. Easier to equalize. Easier to stay in control. Unless it's a hot drop, I'm going to be neutral the whole way.

Oh, I don't know, descents are more controlled if you start neutral and just breathe yourself down. Easier to equalize. Easier to stay in control. Unless it's a hot drop, I'm going to be neutral the whole way.
Of course I agree with you. Perhaps I need to be more clear: To descend you need to temporarily become negatively buoyant. In no way should the ascent become so negative that one drops like a rock. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs here.

Of course I agree with you. Perhaps I need to be more clear: To descend you need to temporarily become negatively buoyant. In no way should the ascent become so negative that one drops like a rock. Perhaps I'm splitting hairs here.
Sounds legit. I get neutral at the beginning of the descent and use my breath to get down... and then up.

I tried being neutral and then heading down but when back rolling off the gunwale If I don't have all the air out of my BC I tend to bob near the boat. I find that dropping in and letting yourself drop 5-8 ft and descend at your desired rate from there keeps me from hitting the boat, or worse bobbing near the prop. Also I swam the wrong direction one day and ended up on the other side of the boat and someone dropped in on top of me, if I wouldn't have been down 8 ft that might of hurt.

Posted this cause just curious if other people find that to be best for them.

Last edited:
I tried being neutral and then heading down
Exhale. That should make you negative enough.

What I don't agree 100% is for someone to come up and not be perfectly horizontal. Looking up and perhaps being in 45 degree or more of trim helps with situational awareness letting you avoid obstacles. Yes a horizontally trimmed diver can and does look up too but this obsession with being horizontally trim in all phases of dives is a bit perplexing to me.Be kind.

My initial technical diving training emphasized perfectly horizontal at all times in the dives, particularly during decompression stops. Then I crossed over to another agency and instructor that did not have that much of an obsession with it. As I did my perfectly horizontal stops with him and the other divers who happened to be on the boat, I noticed I was the only one perfectly horizontal. Just about everyone else was at maybe a 30 degree angle. I noted how easily they could keep track of everyone else during the stops. I saw how easily swiveling the head eased all communication. I still teach students to do stops horizontally, but I let them know there are definite benefits to doing it otherwise, and I don't get anal about it with them.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom