The Approach of 1 gauge only ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Corleone

Contributor
Reaction score
im in the process of buying my own set. thinking about buying air/depth/compass console. thinking that if i got them all in 1 console, it will make my life easier.

but after watching a lot of youtube videos, while reading about bp/w systems or even side mount i began to see that those type of divers only use something like this :

1881.jpg

why do they use only 1 gauge?

The other gauges are wrist mounted, I believe.

I like a clunky console, myself, but am old and set in my ways. :D

The other gauges are wrist mounted, I believe.

This is correct. I just have a pressure gauge on my regs for a few reasons. The biggest is that when I dive, my arms are up by my face so it just takes a quick glance at my timer or computer to see the depth and time. Another reason is that I dive multiple configurations (singles, doubles and occasionally sidemount). Just having a pressure gauge on the regs keeps me from having to swap things from reg to reg.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have only this gauge. It's my back up, so when my Uwatec transmitter fails, I still know how much air is left.

I actually use the same gauge as well and keep it clipped off on a shorter hose as its a backup for my AI computer. Dive Right In Scuba and northeast scuba supply have them on sale pretty cheep. the rest of my gauges are wrist mounted compass on the left computers on the right.

As it was said it is not the "only" gauge used.

SPG (pictured) gets bolt snapped off to the left D-ring out of the way. In side mount they have one SPG for each tank. In doubles with deco/stage bottle each bottle has an SPG along with regulator.

Computer goes on your right wrist so that you can use you left hand to use inflator. This way you can see your computer very easy and have a free left hand.

Compass goes on the left wrist. If your computer was on the left it would be hard to work your inflator and watch your depth.

Also this set up makes things more streamlined and you don't have things dangling under you.

Everybody has at least this much information: How much gas they have left, how deep they are, and how long they have been underwater. Most people also have a compass that tells them their direction. Whether you combine all this into a console, or combine different parts of it into air integrated gauges or digital compasses, depends on the diver and what equipment they have chosen to buy.

I like to have my depth and time on my wrist, because I reference those numbers almost constantly. I also want to see them easily when I am descending or ascending, and have my left hand on my inflator. Therefore, I wear a wrist computer.

Because I DON'T have to check my gas constantly (every five minutes or so is fine), I don't feel I need to have that information on my wrist. So I use the gauge you illustrate, clipped off to my hip, where it's fairly easy to release it, bring it up and check it, and put it back. Some people like to have a wrist gauge that can also tell them their gas remaining, which requires some kind of transmitter. It's not a bad idea to wear a normal gauge, too, in case the transmitter is having trouble syncing.

Some folks put everything in a console, and then clip the console across their chest so that they can see it by looking down. I don't like that approach, because I don't like something clipped across my chest.

For recreational diving I have a SPG and a compass on a console. I rarely need the compass; I need the SPG only at regular intervals during the dive, and even then, only to confirm what I expect to see in terms of remaining gas. For technical diving I have a wrist-mounted compass I can take when needed, so the SPGs for each tank are all I have--no console. I like having depth and time information on my arm, which is in front of me most of the time (unless I'm carrying a camera). I wear mine on my left arm. I find I use the pull valve on the right hip of my bladder rather than the inflator mechanism for dumping air.

I have been with a 3 bay inline console all along. It wants to be the 3 in a row, not the big hunk with 1 instrument on the backside. Also, be sure to outfit it with the 42 inch hose The longer hose will let you position it for optimal navigation. The 36 inch made me hold it too close. The entire compass in effect becomes a precision lubber line. I have it on an bungee, about 8 inches long, bolt snapped to my left shoulder D ring.

For my liking it eliminates needing to don wrist instruments and where it's attached to a very major piece of equipment it won't be forgotten or misplaced. Since I have multiple regulators they are equipped with the Oceanic data link connector.

I don't think BP&W has any bearing on this. My solution was consistent from jacket to BP&W. Side mount would mean rethinking things some.

Pete

Reactions: -hh
As has already been covered pretty well I too use a SPG but not the plastic one you've linked to but a brass and glass one, more robust.

Personal preference, I wear computer, depth and time info etc, on right wrist and compass on right hand. This way I have the info I need most regularly on one hand and when diving I just simply glance at my right arm/wrist for relevant info and do not need to move at all. I don't check my SPG so regularly especially when local diving unless am encountering unusual conditions so clipping and unclipping it from my left waist D ring from time to time is not overly onerous.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom