The Approach of 1 gauge only ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im in the process of buying my own set. thinking about buying air/depth/compass console. thinking that if i got them all in 1 console, it will make my life easier.

but after watching a lot of youtube videos, while reading about bp/w systems or even side mount i began to see that those type of divers only use something like this :

1881.jpg

why do they use only 1 gauge?

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ne...where-do-i-want-my-gauges-computer-etc-2.html

This conversation is in another post and I copied my comments here. I like the idea of having it all in one place too. The idaea of putting anthing on the wrist is a PITA especially with a drysuit... and that is a good way to lose it.

I don't put anything on my wrists, or ankles for that matter. If you put it on, you have to take it off and sometimes you can forget to take it with you when you leave the boat or shore...So, I cut a piece of 2" thin-wall (schedule 20) PVC pipe, drilled a hole in each end and covered it with some neoprene. I strap the Backup Compass, depth gauge, bottom timer and Dive Computer around the pipe until it compresses the neoprene and clip the pressure gauge on the left side. I sling this across my chest with surgical tubing and a suicide clip to the "D" ring. I can see all the "machinery" in any position and when I exit the water, it is just a matter un-clipping the right side and removing the harness. Everything is all in one place. I run a bungee though all the straps and tie it off through the PVC pipe. The pipe provides a great place to keep your gloves and snorkel inside and a knife strapped to the outside. When I pack or store it, with all the gear still attached, I put it in a padded bag.

Can't upload pictures again! copied.

All of the important stuff is together, no matter back mount, side mount or Hooka.

I have been with a 3 bay inline console all along...

For my liking it eliminates needing to don wrist instruments and where it's attached to a very major piece of equipment it won't be forgotten or misplaced. Since I have multiple regulators they are equipped with the Oceanic data link connector.

I've gone back and forth a little; been on the "all in one" for quite awhile now. Was thinking about changing a few years ago based on an appealing wrist-mount dive computer a friend had, but while diving with him, saw some of the trade-offs firsthand: within the same week, his computer got mixed up with another diver's stuff (the two almost went for a dive with each other's residual nitrogen profile), and at one point, the boat started rocking and the computer got loose on the deck and almost went overboard for a solo dive on its own. Since then, I've also notice divers - sometimes while in a slight rush to get their suit off to takes pee - forget to take the wrist,out off before peeling the wetsuit...no, you can't pass it through a reasonable wrist seal, even on a wetsuit.

In any case, what I find most useful about having everything together is that it reduces risks of human erroe: it simplifies the last stage of pre-dive gearup (task workloading) and during a dive, the adjacent-ness of the instruments encourages me to check *all* my Gage's whenever I think of checking any one of them.

I don't think BP&W has any bearing on this. My solution was consistent from jacket to BP&W. Side mount would mean rethinking things some.

It doesn't. Unfortunately, this is YA example of "Those WKPP DIR guys did this, so it must be universally applicable to everyone as 'better'" logic. A lot of their rationale was that they dove without computers because there weren't any computers that were (a) reliable, (b) inexpensive, or (c) capable of the dive profiles they were doing, so they cut custom tables at a PC for their dive plans and used simple (and cheap) old school gages.

FWIW, some divers don't like wrist mount because a box on the wrist whille constrain the ability to reach into bug holes while hunting lobster...can mean a smaller catch.

-hh

When I take my gauges off, they get clipped together and either clipped to my harness (if I'm on a boat, for example, or intend another dive) or get clipped to a loop in my gear trunk. I have had a very, very rare occasion where I forget to put them on at the car, but I have never lost one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom