The Air Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

yes.... I did do that before making this post, got nothing!

Using the Advanced Search feature, I get almost 500 threads but it looks like only the first 16 or so relate directly to you question.

This came up years and years ago, and I did a really halfass job with photoshop to express my opinion of the Air Buddy... Suppose it's as relevant now as it was then =)

Please explain this.

The flow rate is too low. That's why none of the integrated second stage/inflators use a standard hose. The hose diameter and quick-disconnect create too much of a restriction.

---------- Post added April 27th, 2014 at 09:50 PM ----------

First thing it made me think of is a "compressed air" air embolism. Not sure if 150ish PSI can do that? Not sure how tough the skin inside my mouth is.
But 150 psi can most likely cause some serious lung damage.
I think you would need to excercise considerable care.

I believe the lowest recorded pressure change to cause an embolism was a few feet in a pool. Not sure what the actual pressure change was in PSI, but it would be way less than 150PSI.

I believe the lowest recorded pressure change to cause an embolism was a few feet in a pool. Not sure what the actual pressure change was in PSI, but it would be way less than 150PSI.
I was thinking of a different concept. A compressed air air embolism occurs when you take the nozzle of a compressed air hose, press it against your skin and inject air directly into your body through your skin. Loads of fun. Nothing to do with actually breathing the nasty stuff. You can bypass your lungs and go directly to your blood stream. Cut out the middleman. This neat trick is possible with run o the mill body shop compressors. So 150psi should do just fine.

I was thinking of a different concept. A compressed air air embolism occurs when you take the nozzle of a compressed air hose, press it against your skin and inject air directly into your body through your skin. Loads of fun. Nothing to do with actually breathing the nasty stuff. You can bypass your lungs and go directly to your blood stream. Cut out the middleman. This neat trick is possible with run o the mill body shop compressors. So 150psi should do just fine.

Especially since it's in your mouth, which is much more delicate than most exterior skin.

I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to ventilate your eardrums too.

I'm guessing it would be pretty easy to ventilate your eardrums too.
Hang on just a minute. I don't think anyone had suggested sticking this thing in your ear.

Strickly an oral appliance.

800px-Scuba_regulator_2nd_stage_animation.gif

Is this a cool graphic or what?

---------- Post added April 27th, 2014 at 11:09 PM ----------

The flow rate is too low. That's why none of the integrated second stage/inflators use a standard hose. The hose diameter and quick-disconnect create too much of a restriction.

If you read the reviews on Leisurepro some people mention having to remove the valve in the BC hose. Also people says it takes practice to use effectively.

Hang on just a minute. I don't think anyone had suggested sticking this thing in your ear.

Strickly an oral appliance.

Your throat and ears are connected. That's why you can equalize water pressure.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 07:52 AM ----------

If you read the reviews on Leisurepro some people mention having to remove the valve in the BC hose. Also people says it takes practice to use effectively.

A quick disconnect without a valve seems like a really bad idea.

Your throat and ears are connected. That's why you can equalize water pressure.

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 07:52 AM ----------

A quick disconnect without a valve seems like a really bad idea.

Have you actually used the air buddy?

Seems to me like you, Brandon and giffenk are just trolling, pity, because it makes it harder for serious people to find the information they seek.

The most relevant thing you have said in this post is "I'm guessing".

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 10:53 PM ----------

This came up years and years ago, and I did a really halfass job with photoshop to express my opinion of the Air Buddy... Suppose it's as relevant now as it was then =)

You're probably a better clown, then you're a DM!

Thanks for wasting my time :)

---------- Post added April 28th, 2014 at 11:01 PM ----------

Damo,
I'd be interested to hear your review after you've dived with the airbuddy!!
Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most definitely will Mike, I will do a test run to 5m from 20m and a 3min stop, just to see if it lives up to its promise.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom