The Air Buddy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Some people disable (fix) the QR by using heavy duty heat shrink over the upstream collar. That way only the QR on the Air Buddy downstream of the mouthpiece is still QR. The BC LP hose Air Buddy installation is as Luis mentioned semi-permanent.

Well, got all the fluids changed, getting her ready to come out of hibernation, time to head to the Flariduh Keys soon and then to Montana maybe. Done with the grease and oil until next year.

photocopy_zps28b21f59.jpg

Air Buddy for BC ordered, to complement my octopus Air Buddy.

N

Well, in prep for my annual Florida expedition I Jeeped on over to Table Rock to dive with a few guys. Ran the new BC Air Buddy. I was at 110 feet and gave it a whirl, no issues, plenty of air. Of course my lips were numb from the cold water but all is well. No issues, I think I will switch to the BC Buddy for most diving and just keep my Air Buddy octo for "vintage" diving.

I used a fat O-ring, slipped over the disconnect and into the groove, to prevent retraction of the collar instead of the supplied tie wrap. I think I may make/build/contrive a better solution here. Though the O-ring seems to securely lock the collar, I would prefer something a bit more trustworthy for my typical solo diving since without the Schrader, if it were to pop off, somehow or other, you would have a significant LP leak. A may swage a brass washer in there. Have to think on it some. Piece of cake.

N

My Air Buddy BC installed as I dove it a few weekends ago. Note the O-ring to secure the QR on the hose and prevent retraction of the collar. This is not my ultimate solution here but it works fine. However, I could suggest that they use a standard LP regulator female fitting here but I suppose the problem with that is it would require a custom hose as I find few LP regulator hoses in the 12 inch or so length common on wing/BP units.

photo2_zps351ff76a.jpg

As far as breathing performance is concerned it is similar to the Air Buddy octo that I have been using for several years now with success. My main use is inflating bags though I have full confidence as a last ditch air supply, under what circumstances that might occur, beats me, we can create Sci Fi scenarios until Hades freezes over and I am still going to make the surface in any dive I would do solo, Air Buddy, no buddy, aliens or whatever, they best get out of my way. I think the bite piece is a little stiffer than my older unit.

As a double hose regulator user, filling a bag requires pulling the mouthpiece away and holding it higher than the diagram, unlike a single hose which has a purge, this is do-able but simply easier with the Air Buddy BC instead.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom