The 20 Skills Broken Down

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks guys for the good replies. I meant the last item on, regardless of whether people are using a BCD or horse-collar. The point about not being excessively weighted is well taken, likewise avoidance of becoming a Polaris missile when the belt has been dumped. Interestingly the USN diving manual supports the 'WB last on' practice. The arguments against I don't find compelling, so I will stick to it. Once again thanks to all of you for taking time to reply. ATB, Nigel

I'm betting A34735 meant the outside of the crotch strap. This was the standard practice with horse collar type BC's and I suspect it's still the case with any BC that has a crotch strap. The last thing you want is a belt getting hung up on the strap when trying to ditch it.
Correct. In the days I learnt, horse-collar BCs (we called them 'ABLJ's) with crotch-straps were the norm.
Even so, many of us just dived with a wet-suit, cylinder/harness and a carefully adjusted weight-belt. It was gospel that ditching the belt would generate enough buoyancy (from the wet-suit) to bring an unconscious diver to the surface - which meant adjusting the mass for the expected maximum depth. Of course, below 30m/100ft or so, all bets were off...
Nonetheless, I'm still surprised that other divers/instructors are surprised when my weight belt is the last thing I put around my waist...

Back
Top Bottom