That pesky Medical Statement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It doesn't matter. Since I finally smartened up and quit smoking my numbers have been dropping.
When I turned 50 several years ago and told my doc that I was planning on diving again he had me do a cardio stress test on a treadmill. He has me do one about every year or every other year. The cardiologist says I am good to go. They are both very happy I quit smoking.
My goal now is to drop some weight and eventually come off the meds. BTW I am on Norvasc and Losartan.

Ok, so me and a buddy went to the Bahamas to take an AOW class...tons of paperwork prior to arriving. Upon arrival, we were told to suit up and head to the boat, but first complete this medical form.

My bud indicated high blood pressure with medication. Once we were on the boat, someone came over and advised my bud he couldn't dive unless he produced a medical note stating fitness! He was livid beyond description!

This form should have been delivered with the initial paperwork before we arrived imho!

They told him to go to the local hospital and get checked out....so off I went on the dive sans buddy! Just before we were about to jump in, we see this little skiff coming towards us....long story short, they had a change of heart and let my bud dive and complete the AOW course.

So, if I know my Meds are controlling my issues, I'm never saying yes on a form:)...

Uncontrolled hypertension kills. If it is controlled by meds, and the meds themselves don't affect diving it isn't an issue.
I am tempted to just check no from now on.

Question for ya....a diver checks off high blood pressure and or taking statins for cholesterol. What would be your position on either of these? I have neither fortunately, but I'll share a story with you about a dive buddy once I get your take on my question...
The wording of the Medical Statement item related to BP is: 'High blood pressure or take medicine to control blood pressure?' If that item is answered 'YES' the diver is supposed to have physician sign-off, even if the BP is controlled by the meds. Now, for formal training, as far as I am concerned, the 'rules', i.e. agency standards, are firm - as an Instructor, I would require sign-off. After all, the text of the document states, 'The purpose of this Medical Questionnaire is to find out if you should be examined by your doctor before participating in recreational diver training.'

For recreational diving - e.g. going out on a charter boat - I think it is up to the operator, although the form also states that the broader purpose is to identify 'preexisting condition that may affect your safety while diving and you must seek the advice of your physician prior to engaging in dive activities'.

Hyperlipidemia, and statin use, are not among the listed items, and should not be an issue.

Question for ya....a diver checks off high blood pressure and or taking statins for cholesterol. What would be your position on either of these? I have neither fortunately, but I'll share a story with you about a dive buddy once I get your take on my question...

That is a fair question. I haven't had time to catch up on this thread, but if someone has high blood pressure and is on meds for it (or not), technically - we should have a signed off Dr.'s release stating that the diver is fit to dive. High blood pressure is often, not always a sign of other health risks.

We are firm with no exceptions whatsoever with students and this would absolutely be required before a student enters the water.

In regards to certified divers, there is wording in both my dive application and my liability release that specifically states "I have no known medical conditions that should preclude me from diving unless stated above" (which includes the medical questions that could be contradictions for diving) - both of these statements require a signature that they have been read. It is a fine line. As certified divers, we are responsible for ourselves - especially when it comes to matters of knowing whether we are fit to dive. But a known health risk does affect everyone on the boat and then some. For this reason, I have been seriously contemplating making this part of the reservation process - if you have any of these conditions (with a list), we must have a current medical release from a Dr. However, my fear here is that it will simply promote more dishonesty on paperwork. It's a tough situation.

If I have a condition like high bp, and my doctor is aware of it and has me on meds that control it, and those meds do not prevent me from diving, and my doctor agrees that I am ok to dive, why should I have to prove it to anyone else.
They take my word that I have the condition if I check the box, why won't they take my word that it's under control?
I don't feel it is dishonest if I check no. It's just avoiding unnecessary complications at the dive op.

I take meds for mild high blood pressure. I check that box and tell them that the meds have it under control and my doc says I am good to dive. They have never questioned after that.

I suspect it is just a matter of time before you will be turned away unless you have a current, acceptable, official letter from your doctor attesting to your fitness to dive.

I think this brings out the importance of having a medical check up every year. As a fire fighter I am required to have a complete physical every other year, and a "check up" every year. If an issue surfaces between the check up and physicals, then I make sure to get it checked out. My physician is aware that I am a diver, and makes sure everything is good to go.

If you go for a yearly physical or check up, it should be easy to get a letter from your doctor saying you are good to dive. You can check the appropriate boxes on the form supplied by the dive outfitter, and if they require anything further you have the letter as proof of being fit to dive.

Divegoose

I get a physical every year. If my doctor has no concerns why should I have to prove that to anyone else?
The question on the form should ask if the diver has any condition that is not under control.

If I have a condition like high bp, and my doctor is aware of it and has me on meds that control it, and those meds do not prevent me from diving, and my doctor agrees that I am ok to dive, why should I have to prove it to anyone else.
They take my word that I have the condition if I check the box, why won't they take my word that it's under control?
I don't feel it is dishonest if I check no. It's just avoiding unnecessary complications at the dive op.

That's exactly what I feel & have been doing.

My cardiologist says my bp is in borderline (130/90) & gave me the lowest doses possible & can stop using it anytime, Losartan-HCTZ 50-12.5 mg / day to lower my bp to 120/80. I check my bp everyday. So, No is my answer to the hbp questionnaire.

It doesn't matter. Since I finally smartened up and quit smoking my numbers have been dropping.
When I turned 50 several years ago and told my doc that I was planning on diving again he had me do a cardio stress test on a treadmill. He has me do one about every year or every other year. The cardiologist says I am good to go. They are both very happy I quit smoking.
My goal now is to drop some weight and eventually come off the meds. BTW I am on Norvasc and Losartan.

Be careful with that one. Many of the conditions are asked in the form of now or EVER. That is:

"Please answer the following questions on your past or present medical history
with a YES or NO. "

Back
Top Bottom