That final 15 feet....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That exact scenario happened on my last dive in St. Thomas - while I tried to stretch the time from 15', everyone else left quickly for the surface after the safety stop. One diver actually hit his head on the bottom of the boat as he was [apparently] not paying attention. When I finally surfaced, I had no wait on the line - the last diver was just getting aboard as I swam up to the ladder.
Yep, my practice is to be the first off and last on. Usually I can look around the boat and see what they will be dealing with getting people back on and getting them in the water. This way while it may be a 60 minute dive for many of them, I'm getting 75-80 and still coming back with more air.

Sherwood Wisdom 3
I would STRONGLY suggest you get your computer checked out.
My group are ALL running Sherwood w2 and w3 (6 computers in total) and definitely the computer doesn't shut down at 5 feet. Two days ago I was in the water and was getting clear readings on the surface swim to the shore.
Ohh and-PLEASE pay heed to the first few comments. Have a look back at the first chapter of your OW studies and you will see exactly why that last 5.0m/15 feet from the s stop need to be the slowest you do for the entire dive.
truth is -unless theres a big current running I tend to swim up the angle to the boat ladders from 5.0m and usually that takes about a two to three minutes .

I've said this several times before, but people (especially on this board) go wacko over weighting. I want to be able to stop my ascent at ANY depth and with the tank(s) MT - and to be able to breathe comfortably. To be honest, I also want to be 4 lbs or so negative at 15 feet (again with no air in tank) so I can comfortably hang on the string of my SMB.

People view SAC rates and lead ballast requirements as a freaking competition. I guess too many people have nothing to do underwater, so they invent these little "competitions" for themselves and others. If you are a good diver, carrying a few extra lbs of ballast, is not going to present a problem - at all.

Nothing wrong with slow at those depths as long as you don't keep others waiting because of your poor planning.

I've said this several times before, but people (especially on this board) go wacko over weighting. I want to be able to stop my ascent at ANY depth and with the tank(s) MT - and to be able to breathe comfortably. To be honest, I also want to be 4 lbs or so negative at 15 feet (again with no air in tank) so I can comfortably hang on the string of my SMB.

People view SAC rates and lead ballast requirements as a freaking competition. I guess too many people have nothing to do underwater, so they invent these little "competitions" for themselves and others. If you are a good diver, carrying a few extra lbs of ballast, is not going to present a problem - at all.

With all the shore diving I do, I often swim in to 4 - 6 ft of water, so I set my weights to be neutral at that depth. That makes me a bit over-weighted at 15', but it works for my diving and conditions.

Points taken. I also at times question these "competitions". I did a weight check when I started 10 years ago. Gradually dropped about 5 pounds until I was gifted a new (used) wetsuit last Spring, which saw me adding 7 pounds--I assume due to the increased "integrity" of the new suit. So I think it has little to do with your improving as a diver as you progress. You do one weight check and stick with what it dictates--until maybe you think a little less will make you a little more "perfect". Now this assumes of course you have the same tank/exposure suit all the time. If not, you just do that one initial check with each different gear. Not rocket science. Yet I always read on the "log book" threads how important all this info. is and how great the log book is for you to refer back to. How many different gear setups does one have...?

Points taken. I also at times question these "competitions". I did a weight check when I started 10 years ago. Gradually dropped about 5 pounds until I was gifted a new (used) wetsuit last Spring, which saw me adding 7 pounds--I assume due to the increased "integrity" of the new suit. So I think it has little to do with your improving as a diver as you progress. You do one weight check and stick with what it dictates--until maybe you think a little less will make you a little more "perfect". Now this assumes of course you have the same tank/exposure suit all the time. If not, you just do that one initial check with each different gear. Not rocket science. Yet I always read on the "log book" threads how important all this info. is and how great the log book is for you to refer back to. How many different gear setups does one have...?

Probably at least as many as they have different levels of exposure protection. I have 3mm and 7mm wet suits, and there is about 12lb of difference in the amount of lead I need between them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom