That creepy feeling...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

catherine96821:
He is so right! I would go so far as even to say people should practice calling a dive, just for practice. Get it behind you and under your belt, so that when you have a real reason, you won't be susceptible to the peer pressure. Little things like weather, tired, whatever. Get comfortable saying no. I think I have had big pressure to do things (caves, etc) where I have been the most experienced and yet the only one to pass. They tease me, and call me the "One Dive Wonder"!

You weenied on cave dive.... sheesh. I'm going to have to re-evaluate how I feel about you.... :D

R..

Sunshine22, Your confidence will come back. That is a normal response to what you experienced and you are responding in a reflective way.

Rob, I was with newish divers that all entered the Temple of Doom at Blue Holes, Palau. (I passed) I saw the video later and I could not frigging believe it! Dark, tiny, deep, skeletons of turtles...CROWDED with divers flapping all around. It was a teeny blow to my ego, but I got over it.

You're all so helpful. You know I knew that if I just talked about it a little, it would help some. And it has. Its a great point that feeling something is bad is not always bad. I'm glad you said that.

Speaking of caves - I did do a cave and intro class (FORGET ABOUT FULL CAVE!!) just to be a better wreck diver. I have no intention of diving caves. I didn't even care if I got certified. I just wanted to learn some new things. So anyway, I didn't like being in there, so I would turn the dive after about 200ft! At the end of the training, the instructor said he wanted to give me the card because I was so comfortable calling the dive. He figured I was very unlikely to go charging into a cave thousands of feet. LOL

So, yeah, I'm good with calling the dive!

You're all very helpful.

catherine96821:
Sunshine22, Your confidence will come back. That is a normal response to what you experienced and you are responding in a reflective way.

QUOTE]

Thank you so much.

:)

catherine96821:

QUOTE]

Thank you so much.

:)

Sunshine22:
... I just keep thinking---"what if I start to black out again right now? what would I do right now? Let me look up - let me look down - where would I go? etc" ...

CO2 blackout and oxtox are the risks that I am the least comfortable with. I'm thinking of getting a CO/CO2 analyzer to go inline with my O2 analyzer. However, regardless of how much I do at the surface, the short and skinny of the matter that if it happens at depth, I am explicitly relying on my buddy to bail me out.

A blackout below 100 ft would scare the heck out of me. I'd probably get a creepy feeling for a while, too. Your confidence will come back. In the meantime, if it doesn't feel right, abort the dive. This is supposed to be fun.

I like Catherine's idea of practicing calling a dive. Wanting to call the dive and actually doing it are two different things. It actually takes will power to call the dive. Make sure you've got it. If you can do it once, its like riding a bike, you can do it anytime you need.

The best way to do it is to build confidence in having fun in neutral environments. C02 can build up if you work alot or lose control of your breathing. Find a clear hole and work on being still. Pay attention to what happens when you have to work more underwater and remember it as the point underwater that you need to slow down.

Not many other ways to deal with an incident than to face it and learn from it especially if you plan to dive safely and frequently.

-V

Back
Top Bottom