Thanks so much....got another Q

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaSteph

Reaction score
Texas (east of Dallas in the middle of nowhere)
I'd like to say THANKS to everybody that responded to my post. I feel warm and fuzzy from all the welcoming messages...this is a great bunch of people!

Scubatooth:
Yes, I am going to the concert. This will be my first so I am really excited...really, really, really excited! Are you a longtime JB fan?

My crew got certified at Aqua World in Garland with Kirk Watson....he's a great guy.

TwoBitTxn:
We are interested in the scuba tune up y'all are doing. Please pass along more info as it becomes available.

Now for my question...

Somebody mentioned Athens might be a better choice for getting in some early spring dives. I've heard that Athens uses chemicals to clear up their water that may or may not cause damage to dive equipment. Now I'm sure that they would not use anything that would purposely cause damage to dive equipment...I was just wondering if there was anybody out there with personal experience to back up or squash the rumors of possible damage. This stuff just cost too much money not to at least check with other people first.
Thanks in advance!!

I can neither confirm nor deny this allegation. However, like you, I find it very hard to believe they would use something in the water that would be potentially damaging to scuba gear, since the scuba diving at Athens Scuba Park is Calvin and Shannon's livelihood (being the owners and proprietors of the park).

Anyone else have any information?

But I believe it's an old quarry, and the water may be naturally alkaline like the Blue Lagoon. If so, a few visits won't hurt (be sure to rinse equipment thoroughly afterwards), but after a few years of continued exposure, like instructors or Divemasters might get with repeated classes, your equipment might show signs of deterioration.

Just a guess.....

steph from what i have been told buy my instructor is that they use a checmical set similar to that of a outdoor public pool (mainly to prevent algae blooms) the only bad side effect of this is that there is really nothing that lives in that lake, so its best to really throughly soak everything in fresh water to rinse the minerals off or after a while the chrome will come off the gear.

also hope you like the concert it should be great, i just havent had time/ money to go to one (college) but i will at a later time, but hopefully going tp margurita ville this summer in the keys and may see him then

Two Bit ? does ron work through a shop or is he totally independent ?

Athens uses a flocculant to cause the extremely fine silt to clump and fall. The worst thing it will is cause bleached hair to turn green. There is no harm done to equipment. I DM'ed out there all last summer. No problems.

Ron is totally independent. He does run Tanks Alot diving since SDI/TDI does not like to work with independents. His RV is his shop. He is a licensed dealer of a few products. I can't recall what. If you want to talk to him about working for him I can facilitate you two getting together.

Steph, How many people?

TwoBit

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom