Thank You, SB Crew!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That was long and ugly. I hope it's over for good. Thanks for the work!

Web Monkey:
I spent almost 10 years doing web application support for a 100 million dollar hosting company. We took care of the US government and some of the largest companies in the US, and had an entire division called "storage operations."

Their only responsibility was backing up and restoring data and making sure all the disks were happy.

However actually getting a full restore for any particular customer was never a sure thing. There was always a significant chance that "something bad" would have happened during the backup process and that the restored data would not be usable.

You do what you can with what you have and move on.

Terry

I spent 27 years working with F500 companies who's data requirements are much more stringent than "you do what you can and move on". That's pretty lame in fact. The last time I had a client with a bad backup was in the late 80's, and that was from one of those Kennedy 9-track tape drives (that had a history of failing). Not having a backup of the last 12 hours is one thing. Not having a backup for the last month is entirely something else. Considering that the hosting outfit apparently didn't know doo-doo about raid (or how to test it), well, I'm not surprised....

When you control the hosting center, the applications and the servers, you can be pretty sure of getting a good backup.

When you're backing up a customer's machine it's not always a sure thing.

Terry

AstroDad:
I spent 27 years working with F500 companies who's data requirements are much more stringent than "you do what you can and move on". That's pretty lame in fact. The last time I had a client with a bad backup was in the late 80's, and that was from one of those Kennedy 9-track tape drives (that had a history of failing). Not having a backup of the last 12 hours is one thing. Not having a backup for the last month is entirely something else. Considering that the hosting outfit apparently didn't know doo-doo about raid (or how to test it), well, I'm not surprised....

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! :yeahbaby:
Thanks to all you folks for the hard work and dedication to get SB back up.
Really liked the SB2 in the interim, much appreciation.
Here's to ya! :coffee:

Web Monkey:
When you control the hosting center, the applications and the servers, you can be pretty sure of getting a good backup.

When you're backing up a customer's machine it's not always a sure thing.

Terry

Are you saying that SB runs in a colocation model? Better q: who dropped the ball on the backup in THIS situation? Hosting outfit or SB?

AstroDad:

Yeah no backup's for a month is kind of sad. Then the site being down for a solid week with nothing informative as to why being posted? Not good customer relations folks.

Every once in awhile I sit back and say I should donate some cash to the cause but when this kind of thing happens I change my mind. My reason, well shouldn't this money be going to run the board? Well if backups are not being done and we loose a month of data and countless accounts are lost I have to think that the money is not going into the operation properly.

Sorry for the rant but I was just fustrated. I still love SB.

AstroDad:

Yeah no backup's for a month is kind of sad. Then the site being down for a solid week with nothing informative as to why being posted? Not good customer relations folks.

Every once in awhile I sit back and say I should donate some cash to the cause but when this kind of thing happens I change my mind. My reason, well shouldn't this money be going to run the board? Well if backups are not being done and we loose a month of data and countless accounts are lost I have to think that the money is not going into the operation properly.

AstroDad:

AstroDad:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom