Thaliand islands: where's best for a forty something solo traveler

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

underthedeepblue

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hey

I'd like to spend six months in Thailand on one of the islands and arrive, settle dive and chill out after a tough year.

I am forty-something and not into the super-young Koh Tao partying vibe that I sense may be a little like Utila.

Koh Tao looks perfect for me but I keep getting red flags on blog posts saying it is very like Utila party-wise.

Any advice as to where I should go gratfeully received. Can I live comfortably on $2,500 a month? I'd probably like to dive a few times a week.

Honduras wasn't a good experience cos I was given several death threats on Utila becaue of gossip on the grapevine that I am, apparently, very obviously gay looking! According to one drug addled *resident* there he said it only costs five bucks for him to have a gay 'disappeared'

*raises eyebrow*

Last edited:
Pending on what time of the year, I would recommend either Koh Samui or Phuket, since both islands have a lot offer to offer besides diving. Koh Tao is great for diving but has, unfortunately, not that much else to offer and there's definitely the party scene as described.

Phuket has the most to offer when it comes down to non diving activities and roughly from September/October to March/April it will have good diving conditions as well.

For looking or being gay I wouldn't expect you to run into trouble in Thailand.

Here is a link to Rainbow Divers which have a gay liveaboard.
You may wish to use.
Rainbow Scuba & Tours - Home
Had a male friend who went with them on tour and had a fab time.
Koh Tao is great but unless you are looking to work or train there six months
may be to long in the one place.

$2500 is a good monthly budget why not visit some of the border countries like Cambodia & Vietnam, they also have nice diving, at a resonable price.
all the best

What Limbo said in #2, with one clarification--it's only the Similans that are problematic for diving from Phuket (and nearby region) between May and October. Even during those months we can and do dive locally from boats. There are good and not-so-good aspects to any time of year on Phuket--during the dry season the diving is superb and the weather clear, but there are also lots of visitors then and prices go up; during the rainy season, we can get some weather and occasional rough seas, but it's cooler, greener, and not crowded at all. OP, if you are concerned that Phuket is over-developed, I can say that this is the case only in the tourist towns. It's a big island and it's perfectly easy to find areas to settle in that are more idyllic.

Your budget is perfectly sufficient to live quite comfortably.

i think Koh Lipe is perfect for the diving. But else there isn't much entertainment. And I am not sure if you can dive there all the year or just half of it. Maybe if you stay in Phuket you go for 2 weeks to Lipe.

There was partying on Koh Tao? I must have retired too early! Enjoyed Koh Lanta and Koh Phi Phi as well when I was in Thailand for a month.

Hey

I'd like to spend six months in Thailand on one of the islands and arrive, settle dive and chill out after a tough year.

I am forty-something and not into the super-young Koh Tao partying vibe that I sense may be a little like Utila.

Koh Tao looks perfect for me but I keep getting red flags on blog posts saying it is very like Utila party-wise.

Any advice as to where I should go gratfeully received. Can I live comfortably on $2,500 a month? I'd probably like to dive a few times a week.

Honduras wasn't a good experience cos I was given several death threats on Utila becaue of gossip on the grapevine that I am, apparently, very obviously gay looking! According to one drug addled *resident* there he said it only costs five bucks for him to have a gay 'disappeared'

*raises eyebrow*

Hey. I wouldn't call Phuket Chill. Koh Lanta is a little south of Phuket and offers trips to many of the same dive sites as Phuket and is cheap and easy living up to high end accommodations and everything in between.

I am living in Phuket and enrolled in DM training and then will take my instructor training here. I am happy to give more specific advice if you PM me.

Also you will probably want to check out a live aboard while you are here. They will take you up into some of the best dive sites in the world.

Let me know if you want some info I am happy to share the little I know.

peace,

-T

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom