Thailand - where to dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The one I was staying at was either Khaw Kwang Beach Bungalows or Deer Neck Cabana. It's been a while and I don't have any ph #'s.
For dive trips I can recommend Blue Planet.

Maybe do a quick google search on Koh Lanta.

I checked my trip diary and found the name... either Last or Lost Horizon Resort at Baan PhuKlom (or Phruklom) beach on the west coast. At the time it was pretty isolated from dive centers, etc., but I wanted a little remoteness for some R&R.

I just got back from Thailand on Dec 10. I was with my family so had no time for a live aboard and chose to dive Hin Muang & Hin Daeng out of Phuket. Not sure about Koh Lanta.

Hin Muang & Hin Daeng are nice sites. They are pinnacles about 60 miles south of Phuket. Hin Muang or Purple Rock had the color with the purple soft coral and lots of fish but I took most of my photos at Hin Daeng which seemed to have more large fish. This might change day to day. At Hin Daeng someone yelled Whale Shark as we were about to tie up to the float. We didn't talk to anyone to confirm the sighting but saw a group of surface swimming divers following something. Also at Hin Daeng we were told to look out from the wall into deep water just beyond our range of vision and we might see barracuda. At the end of the dive I did just that and saw a wall of barracuda which moved within 40 feet of me at one point. Very cool.

Here are some sample photos and a slide show. Most of the photos were taken at the pinnacles but some were taken at Koh Racha Noi. The Racha Noi photos are the spotted ray, scorpion fish and clams. The 4 minute slide show is half Thailand scenic shots with the last half dive photos.

Enjoy your trip. I wish I was going back.

Slide show with music - 18 megs

Thailand%20Sample.jpg

Thailand%20Sample2.jpg

Thanks for sharing.. the pics look great! Did you take a speedboat to HD&HM from Phuket? Who did you go with?

Traminer:
Thanks for sharing.. the pics look great! Did you take a speedboat to HD&HM from Phuket? Who did you go with?
I dove with Eden Divers booked through seafundivers.

Eden divers had a fast boat that carried nine of us to the site in about 3 hrs. Seafun Divers made nitrox available to me and Eden Diver's dive master Yuri did a good job. It's not a luxury cruise but gets the job done.

Thanks for the link.. looks like they dive HD&HM on Weds and Sat... Ocean Dancer also does 2 day trips to HD&HM with overnights in Phi Phi on selected days.

Ko Bon has EXCELLENT manta diving at the moment. There are at least 5 different animals and the sightings have been very consistent the last few weeks. I think your BEST bet to see mantas is to go to Ko Bon and not Hin Daeng. A great area to stay is Kao Lak, just north of Phuket.

Hey Robynn,

I live in Koh Lanta and I've got some really good friends in the dive biz if you're looking for a reccommendation. I myself have never been to Hin Daeng or Hin Muang but everybody here raves about it. My friends at ScubaFish run two 5-star Padi centers on the Southern end of the island, so getting to the 'Hins' is 45 minutes faster when you go with them. Check out their website if you're interested: http://www.scuba-fish.com/.

Life down on the south end of the island is more quiet and relaxed (which is why I moved here) but it is really busy this time of year. I'd also refer you to my favorite resort: http://www.lantamarine.com and advise you to book well ahead of your arrival date.

Hope you have a good dive! Come and see me in my shop The DownLow'd on Kantiang Bay if you get down this way!

Cheers!
TAD

Back
Top Bottom