Thailand Trip Feb 2017

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Andy99

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all,

I will be visiting Thailand with my diver son and non-diving/snorkeling wife visiting family in Chaing Mai. We will have about 4-5 days to do some diving and we would like to make the most of the time spent. Where to fly into and stay and what would keep my non- beach loving wife occupied when my son and I are out diving. I love UW photography and could do muck or large critters but I think my son would be disappointed without a manta or whale shark. Thanks for any help!

Fly into Phuket and stay somewhere in the Patong-Karon-Kata area. Do a daytrip to Koh Bon, best place for manta rays, and one to Phi Phi with also one dive in the Shark Point area. That gives you 2 days of very good diving with a fair chance of a manta ray. If you have more time, also do a trip to the King Cruiser wreck.
Your wife can do shopping, massages, an island tour, etc.

You could also consider a short liveaboard trip, but it sounds like that is not what you're looking for, with your wife staying ashore for those days.

Agree with Steven, South West (Andaman) coast of Thailand is by far the best Thailand has to offer a diver.

... but you better do some expectation management with your son. A manta or a whale shark is not something you can count on seeing. He should go into the dives with the attitude that they will be great in themselves without big stuff. Any big stuff should be considered an added bonus.

one to Phi Phi with also one dive in the Shark Point area. That gives you 2 days of very good diving with a fair chance of a manta ray. If you have more time, also do a trip to the King Cruiser wreck.

Which Shark Point are you thinking off? Clearly not the one near the King Cruiser as you wouldn't suggest separate trips to those?

Which Shark Point are you thinking off? Clearly not the one near the King Cruiser as you wouldn't suggest separate trips to those?
What I was suggesting was one trip to Phi Phi with on the weay back a dive in the Shark Point area (so Shark Point, Anemone Reef or Koh Doc Mai), since that is on the way to and from Phi Phi anyway, plus a separa trip to the King Cruiser with additional 2 dives at 2 of the 3 sites Shark Point-Anemone Reef or Koh Doc Mai. Or even a trip without King Cruiser but alll 3 Shark Point, Anemone Reef and Koh Doc Mai would be possible.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom