Thailand SEPT-DECEMBER HELP!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SaltySpit

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I need some quick help!
I was originally planning on going to Koh Tao for DMT mid September-December. However, I just found out that monsoon season in the Gulf is November/December! (I’m such an idiot!) I have to book my flight by July 27th, so I need to decide on something quickly.

My questions are:

Is it even worth going to the Gulf during this time?

Is there anything on the Andaman Sea side that is comparable to Koh Tao?

I am doing this trip on an extremely tight budget, and so far everything I have read about the west coast seems so expensive!

Basically, I am looking for an area that has a steady stream of divers coming through, but also has some options for convenient and inexpensive housing—a place that isn’t too busy, but busy enough that I can enjoy a few nights out (a few bars and restaurants, etc) and also get enough experience working with students and divers during my DMT.

If I can’t find any useful information in the next few days, I’m afraid I’ll have to book my ticket to somewhere I have been to already, like Panglao, Philippines, or Utila, Honduras. I say this only because I know (and love) those areas, and I know how to find inexpensive housing there. However, my flight options to those places are more expensive and I HAVE ALREADY BEEN THERE!

Any help, advice, and CONSTRUCTIVE criticisms appreciated. I’ll continue to sift through the endless amount of information on the internet over the next few days while I await your replies!

Thanks!
Salty

How tight is your budget? Have you already booked your DMT? Some of your options include: Vietnam - see Saling Club Divers for their internship program, Pattaya - get a really cheap apt and use one of the Operators there ( I have a bias here since I did my DMT there), several places in the Phils that could be recommended, get cheap housing around Phuket, etc. etc.
This really depends on what else you want in the way of surroundings and who you want to work/dive with. Add some more content about what you want and the dive shops will all chime in about how you should come do it with them :) PM me if you want some shop recomendations in other locations outside of Koh Tao.

Have a look at Koh Chang. Also good BP scene and some brilliant diving! Towards the end of October the green season finishes here, November- December you have excellent weather conditions. KC is getting more and more popular for DM courses and with reason! Great scene and a not over-saturated market will give you a very personal course at very affordable prices.
Check out DivingScool offers diving, snorkeling and all PADI scuba courses on Koh Chang , if you need more info on some of the content, do not hesitate to contact me.

Greets and Happy Bubbles!

Wim

As a diver, and not someone promoting their dive shop, I recommend Pattaya over Koh Chang. Pattaya has many very good shipwrecks, great for DMT and also murky conditions a lot (good for navigation training as a DM) and also a lot of good "strong current days" for drift dive training along some of the outer islands (which can be very nice coral dives).

I assume that there are a number of paths to choose as a DMT. If you want to be a great diver, then train in difficult conditions (murky visibility a lot of the time, challenging current days, deep and wreck dives in 'the murk'). If you want to just have great visibility in calm waters, that does not really sound like DMT to me, it sounds like fun diving as a DMT. I would prefer the DMs I dive with have a lot of experience in difficult conditions. Many DMT seem less experienced than me at this point in time, oddly enough.

Then again, there is the "fun and night life" DMT path, which is a topic into itself !! :D

Honestly the training on the Andaman side is not expensive except in comparison to the rock bottom fees charged at places like Koh Tao and Utila. (If you were to compare the Andaman side to your home country, you would see what I'm saying.) Nevertheless, considering that the cheapest training you can find in Thailand is generally considered to be Koh Tao, if you can add in the additional amount that you would spend on airfare to those other places you've already been, you might end up covering the difference between Tao and Andaman side training and still be able to come to Thailand. There is less expensive diving at Koh Lipe, way down south, and the island is just recently offering more lodging than backpacker huts, so the low-cost options are still predominant there, for example.

There is less expensive diving at Koh Lipe, way down south, and the island is just recently offering more lodging than backpacker huts, so the low-cost options are still predominant there, for example.

Actually, I have been looking into Koh Lipe (based on an earlier post you made on a similar thread). However, I haven't found much information on places to stay there...

Has anyone stayed there? PLEASE POST!

Also, does anyone know if there is a steady flow of divers diving there?

Obviously, I am looking for some experience working with FD'rs and OW/AOW students as much as possible. I really dont want to be stuck in an area where I have to wait a week or two for divers to show up!

But Koh Lipe is looking brighter...

Heres a link to some accomodations on Koh Lipe however they are not the real cheap places as you would have to get on the island and look for them as they dont normally advertise online.

\URL deleleted (maybe it wil be deleted as I dont have more than 5 posts as yet its kohlipethailand and then click on accomodation

A good idea is book a couple of nights in a hotel you find online and then arrive and look around and find somewhere else once on island.

funrecdivers post makes some sense however diving in murky water when your in the tropics does not sound to me personally like a fun day out when you can be diving in 25m Viz with stunning colors which is why most people come to Thailand, if you want to dive in murky water better stay home and dive there.

My personal opinion on DM training is its better to take your time and learn in a variety of dive conditions and locations, I am not too keen on the zero to hero type courses although there is nothing wrong with them but if you do dive in different conditions you will obviously be a better more experienced Dm when completed.

Koh Lanta is heaving during season so no problem waiting around for divers that will not be an issue also its spread out so dones not seem like its so busy.

Koh Lanta also has some really great diving which should be a consideration when you choose your location as you should try and dive the best of thailand while your here. Koh Lanta si close to Hin Daeng and Hin Mueng which are really fantastic sites you can also reach the Similands from Lanta also.

Never been to Koh Lipe so cant really offer any advice there

Garry

Khao Lak and Koh Lipe are both great choices. Khao Lak has many more fun divers and tends towards a slightly more experienced crowd. That is not true in all cases, but generally speaking. The other difference is that Khao Lak has some shore diving, but most of the courses and trips are to the Similan Islands. Koh Lipe is much more about close-in dive sites.

The big difference is quality of life. Khao Lak definitely favors the more "civilized" diver. Not saying that divers on Lipe are not, but should you choose to live somewhere, there are many luxuries in Khao Lak. Many people don't want luxuries (hot showers, cheap wireless, doctors) and that means Lipe is perfect. The cost of living in Khao Lak is pretty cheap as compared to your home country, but Lipe is even cheaper. Khao Lak is also not a party town. There are a few bars and there is some nightlife, but not much. Lipe is much more amenable to those seeking all night dancing and buckets.

On Koh Lipe, Castaway Resort runs a reputable and ecologically sound operation. Highly recommended. I would be VERY careful about other operators there..I had the two worst diving experiences of my career with other dive shops there. LEt's just say that when the nearest chamber is 6 (or more) hours by speedboat away, safety is a pretty important element in choosing a shop.

I live and work in Khao Lak and so am pretty favorable towards the Similan Divemaster program at our shop. 6 intense weeks long, accommodation included - but the real kicker....3 liveaboard trips are included as well. That alone covers the price of the course. You will also find that our graduates are employed throughout the region.

Best of luck and enjoy your time here!

I live on Koh Tao and it is one of the cheapest places to take your DM - 30500B including materials. Accomm from 5000B per month.

We didnt get monsoon last year and the conditions were fabulous - however this is not the norm.

Throughout Sept and October we usually see whalesharks around Koh Tao and the conditions are usually and generally good.

Dive boats and dive centres still operate daily through monsoon (Nov) unless the conditions are unsafe for the boat and divers. A handful of dive centres close and fully service and maintain their equipment and facilities. If / when monsoon hits then the seas are choppy, it rains and rains and the viz isnt great. No one knows how long it lasts...

The island still sees a steady but small stream of visitors and there are divers around too during this time.

Given that you want the cheapest course you could take the chance or see what the conditions are like when you arrive...you are doing some research now so you will have options.....

If you are doing more than our DM ( courses before hand) you could always split your training and that way get to see different places and have more experience too while taking advantage of the best conditions and the cheapest fees.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom