Thailand Scuba Diving (safe or not)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

harang

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I was wondering with the current violent outbreak in Thailand with the red shirts and the government... if its safe to go dive abroad there. Heard a lot of news on the gov enforcing state of emergencies in most provinces.

Is it still safe to dive in places such as Pattaya, Phuket, Phi, Phi and surrounding areas?

Anyone with any information is appreciated.

I can't speak first hand about what's going on in Thailand today but I was living on Koh Tao during the military coup of 2006. My friends and I had no idea there was a coup until a tourist came out of a bar showing CNN shouting about impending disaster. Life went on as before but the tourist traffic slowed down a bit (not good for those who depended on it for the trade but was good for the few who did arrive on the island - greater selection at lower prices).

If you are required to follow a strict schedule and are not spending too much time in sensitive areas - large cities and towns - you will probably be alright. But keep abreast of developments before and during your stay.

when are you going?

generally speaking if you are transiting through BKK that shouldn't be a problem anyway, the Novotel is a great place to float around while waiting for your domestic transfer. the islands see almost none of the civil unrest and aren't interested. I have been in Thailand for 2 elections which have a ban on alcohol for the 24 hours preceeding elections, while i had to beg a shop keep for 2 beers in BKK, alcohol was flowing free for locals and tourists in Phi Phi. the islands just don't care for politics nearly as much... their economy is purely based on tourist dollar.

Generally speaking this event was a lot more serious than the 2006 coup. I'm not sure why, but the King didn't step in to try and calm things down as he did in 2006, the whole event was well reported in Australia, but this angle was not. Chang Mai actually had some unrest this time around as Thaksin Shinawatra i believe comes from the north. I have friends living in Chang Mai and everything is back to almost normal, except for the amount of police walking around with automatic rifles.

all in all, the coup attempt is over and the government has control. how long that will last no-one really knows... the Australian Government is urging people to reconsider travel, but if I'd paid for a trip diving on the islands, I'd be taking it... if i was going on an extensive land tour of the country, I'd probably try and reorganise it for later purely due to the amount of border checks that would now probably exist.

Hi There,

Blue skies, glassy seas and warm sun on your back. Affordable luxury hotel, delicous Thai food, cold beer and friendly locals.

Manta sighting the other day.

Phuket is, and has been safe. Bangkok is fine now.

When are you coming?

Hi There,

Blue skies, glassy seas and warm sun on your back. Affordable luxury hotel, delicous Thai food, cold beer and friendly locals.

Manta sighting the other day.

Phuket is, and has been safe. Bangkok is fine now.

When are you coming?

Hello all,
Just the topic I have been looking for but in a bit more detail.
Not concerned about the situation there, as tourist places thrive on tourists :), they can't afford to closeup.

I wanted to know how to get about getting hold of a day long dive, or maybe even a halfday one in Phuket.
What are the schedules like and where abouts are the dives and the cost of them ?

The other thing I wanted to know is whether diving gear is cheaper in Phuket or BKK ? Phuket being an island and the island getting all the stuff from mainland... so does the equation makes sense ?
If that is the case and BKK has cheaper stuff, where would I find good quality original stuff (Cressi, AquaLung, Beuchat etc etc). I'm looking for a wetsuit & fins.

Headed to Phuket, end of June.

Thanks,
Sam

I have three good friends (American, British) who lived in Bangkok for years and have just left. They yawned through the prior unrest, but are clearly viewing the current situation as much different, and serious enough to take up residency elsewhere. One decamped to his other house in Phuket, the other two left the country. The general consensus seems to be that Phuket (and the islands in general, I would presume) will remain safe. Of course, the Thai residents here can probably better guide you, but that's the view of a disinterested observer.

Last edited:
Hi Sam,

I would visit dive centres the day before you want to dive and get the low down on the conditions, what cool fish are out there and dive sites that meet your skill level.

A two dive daytrip (arround 8am - 3pm) starts at arround 88 US $ plus equipment.

Have a look at our dive video here.

If you are a good at bargaining you may get better prices on equipment in Phuket :D come and see our team of dive professionals in our shop in Patong Beach.

Hi Sam,

I would visit dive centres the day before you want to dive and get the low down on the conditions, what cool fish are out there and dive sites that meet your skill level.

A two dive daytrip (arround 8am - 3pm) starts at arround 88 US $ plus equipment.

Have a look at our dive video here.

If you are a good at bargaining you may get better prices on equipment in Phuket :D come and see our team of dive professionals in our shop in Patong Beach.

Thanks for the input OnTheSpot.

Where abouts are you located ?

About the equipment, I am looking to buy, not rent, so you saying that there would be bargaining at a retail outlet that sells stuff like Cressi ?

Cheers, Sam

I was in Thailand in april and there was all that **** with grenades and violence going on. Did not affect me and my family one bit, we did not go to the protest area... in fact we were not even in Bangkok.

The general agreement is, till the first farang- white foreigner- is purposefuly attacked, it is safe.
I would not go if there were a terror act killing 20 people or more, anywhere in Thailand.

Other than that, planning to go there for a similan liveaboard soon. Great food, nice chill people, and superb diving as long as you stay away from the busy resorts.

Life is too short, go somewhere else. The King did not step in because he has been in a hospital for months.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom