Thailand liveaboard in Oct?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

UndrWatrDan

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I am looking at going to Thailand in October to do a liveaboard on the MV Andaman Seafarer which leaves out of Chalong Bay. which I think is near Phuket. The 7day 6 night liveaboard will visit Phi Phi/ Hin Daeng/ Hin Muang & Similan Islands. Anyone have any info on this operation or the dive sites?

Chalong Bay is on Phuket, the departure point for all daytrips and part of the liveaboards.

I personally think October is too early for a 7 day/6 night trip also including the South (Hin Daeng). Chances of not so good weather are realistic, therefor I would prefer to stay in a bit more sheltered areas (i.e. Similans). The diving though at Hin Daeng is excellent.

More info on divesites and boats: check out www.thailand-scuba.com

Hi Danny - we dove Hin Daeng and Muang last February out of Koh Lanta - great dive site. We also went to Bida Nai and Nok close to Phi Phi but out of Koh Lanta as well. We then went on a little north to Kao Lak and did a 5 day liveaboard with Sea Dragon Diving on the MV Andaman (not Seafarer though) to the Similan and Surin Islands. Great trip. So good we may go back this winter. I also heard October might be a little early for the good weather. If your weather is OK you're going to love it.

txbohunk:
After sending out a few inquiries to dive operations and getting back several responses that said it is not the best time to go, I think we'll change our destination. I think we'll head to the GBR instead! But I will make it to Thailand!

Good to know that the people you wrote to are honest! October is right at the start of the season and weather can be good or it can be "not good". If you have the chance to visit another time, better to wait. The best is February - April, though the weather is pretty stable from November onwards. Later in the season it tends to be very calm and is the best time for bigger fish.

Last October started off pretty bad. Lots of rain in the first week, but by the end of the month it was very nice. You just can't predict the weather 100%, not at any time, anywhere - all you can do is make generalisations.

Hope you have a great holiday

I totally agree that in the high season the diving is better, due to the better viz and the guaranteed excellent weather. But I don’t think it is a bad idea to go to the Similans during October. I even had very happy guests this low season, who were able to dive the Similans with no other boats around, and also their boat was nice and quiet. The viz was 20 meters the last months, and most of them had excellent weather. One trip was cancelled though, but that is the risk of the Similans in the low season.
Last October I spent most of the month on the Similans myself, the weather was good, hardly any wind and it was quiet. Not like in the low season, but still not too many divers around. And the viz in October is normally already at 30 meters. Chances of rain are bigger than later in the season of course, but I really think that because of the lack of other divers and boats and the already good viz, a trip in October is definitely worthwhile. Just no manta rays yet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom