Thailand in January

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Heading to Thailand in January 2007. Any recs on where to dive? I've read conflicting reports whether to dive on the Andaman Sea side or the Gulf of Siam. Would really like to dive with a whale shark, so if you have any recs regarding the best spots to dive Thailand in January, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks.
Ilene

Better diving on the Andamn Sea side particularly if you go out on a live aboard. However if you will only be going out on day boats Koh Tao is very nice. Whale Sharks are rare but probably a better chance in the andaman.

Thanks for your quick reply. I'm trying to book everything soon. I thought the Andaman Sea was the best side to dive for the live aboard, however, we will just be going on day dives. Koh Tao looked really great for diving as well as other activiites.
Thanks again.

I would recommend the Andaman Sea as well. January is probably a bit early for whale sharks. February to May they usually start to appear. A good place would be Richelieu Rock which you can visit on a live aboard. Even without a whale shark Similans and Richelieu Rock offer some great diving.

I'll be diving in Thailand in January and will be on the west coast (andaman) and cant wait...Manta rays here we come...

sandra1225:
Heading to Thailand in January 2007. Any recs on where to dive? I've read conflicting reports whether to dive on the Andaman Sea side or the Gulf of Siam. Would really like to dive with a whale shark, so if you have any recs regarding the best spots to dive Thailand in January, it would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks.
Ilene

Hi Sandra,

The Gulf and especially Koh Tao is ok in that period, probably not as good as the Andaman Sea, but still very dive-able.
Last week there was a whale shark sighting at White Rock, very close to Koh Tao, a very unusual place to encounter one.
For the highest possibility of meeting whalesharks in the Gulf, April and August/September are probably best, but in other months, sightings have happened as well.

If you plan on going to Koh Tao, try Planet Scuba, orhave a look at their website at http://planet-scuba.net

hi !
i suggest you to do both of them !
why not going on the east coast first, for 4 dives in Tao, maybe 1-2 in sail rock, and then you're off on the west coast for a 4-day liveaboard !
in 10 days, you can see the best of thailand's diving...
check out this website, they can help you organize that :
http://ecodive.googlepages.com/

My vote goes for west coast (andaman sea) although I'm travelling to thailand in christmas and am about to dive both west and east side (koh tao). If you really want to have good diving book a liveaboard trip to Similan. I've been there quite a number of times already and it's still going to be one of the highlights of this trip. You shouldn't miss Richeliou rock too. Most liveaboards go to r rock aswell but some turn back before. It is one of the best places for whalesharks and has spectacular soft coral. Where are you travelling in Thailand?

Whoops.. this thread is getting quite old. Oh well maybe we'll see each other in koh tao :)

Koh Tao is great to learn to dive, or to reaquaint yourself with diving after a spell out of the water.

For big fish, living coral and spectacular islands...The West Coast.

For diving, Khao Lak is a great spot, with daytrips to the Similan & Surin Islands as well as Richelieu. Plus more than 20 Liveabaords are based here, so your options are infinite. Plus unspoiled beaches, turtle nesting grounds and heaps of jungle trekking and kayaking.

Hi Everyone,

I would highly recommend diving on the Andaman Side, In the past month we have seen 2 whale sharks locally in Koh Phi Phi and have encountered Eagle Rays and Bull Rays, Seahorses and many Leopard and Blacktip Reef Sharks.
Hin Daeng and Hin Muang has been graced by the presence of beautiful mantas and is easily accessible from Koh Phi Phi.
For more information on dive trips email us at blueviewdivers@gmail.com
Or check out our website at www.blueviewdivers.com

Back
Top Bottom