Thailand help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maggy

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi!

My husband and I will visit Thailand in January. I dive but my husband doesn't (he loves to snorkel though).

Any suggestion about a destination that will suit us both. I will only dive for 1-2 days (day trips) and we don't like too crowded places. Have been to Khao Lak and Krabi (Ao Nang) before. Am a little curious about Koh Lanta. How is the diving there? Any snorkeling? Any other suggestions?

Apprecite your help!

Anyone that can tell me if the diving is good in Koh Lanta?

Or have any other suggestions on places to stay in Thailand, that are not too crowded (with good diving close)?

Anyone that can tell me if the diving is good in Koh Lanta?

Or have any other suggestions on places to stay in Thailand, that are not too crowded (with good diving close)?

Yes, Maggy, there is very good diving to be had from Koh Lanta, particularly if you can make it out to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang. What I don't know much about is snorkeling. There are certainly snorkeling opportunities there, but it's not clear to me whether they are combinable with dive outings so that you and your partner could share a trip. We often take snorkelers along on dive trips from Phuket daytrip dive boats, and I would guess that this could be the case for dive trips to certain sites such as the Koh Haa group near Lanta, but I just don't know for sure.

Thank you Quero, for your reply.

It seems like Koh Lanta could suit us. I've googled Hin Muang and Hin Daeng and it looks great. I hope I'm not too much of a newbie to be able to dive there. I have AOW certification but have only done 26 dives in total. Otherwise Koh Haa looked good also.

We have always avoided Phuket (except flying from there) because it's too crowded, but since I don't know the island well, I guess there are less crowded places also. Do you have any suggestion on where to stay on Phuket, if you want to avoid the masses? Since we plan to stay only one week this time (all vacation we can get), the less travel time, the better.

Thanks again for answering my question.

Thank you Quero, for your reply.

It seems like Koh Lanta could suit us. I've googled Hin Muang and Hin Daeng and it looks great. I hope I'm not too much of a newbie to be able to dive there. I have AOW certification but have only done 26 dives in total. Otherwise Koh Haa looked good also.

We have always avoided Phuket (except flying from there) because it's too crowded, but since I don't know the island well, I guess there are less crowded places also. Do you have any suggestion on where to stay on Phuket, if you want to avoid the masses? Since we plan to stay only one week this time (all vacation we can get), the less travel time, the better.

Thanks again for answering my question.

No problem, Maggy. I hope it works out for you.

Yes, Phuket does get a lot of tourists, and most of them stay in three main tourist towns: Patong (the most crowded), Karon, and Kata. Fortunately, the island is quite large, and there are plenty of quieter areas.

There are the northern beach areas, some of which aren't yet overdeveloped, but the big drawback there is that it takes a long time (around an hour by taxi) to get to the dive pier for daytrip diving. If that doesn't bother you, you might like it up there. Otherwise, you might consider one of the few resorts at Nai Harn beach (stunning swimming beach) or one of the places along the southeastern coast of the island (not swimming beaches, but lovely) or even one of several nice jungle-clad resorts in the southern end of the island.

For divers staying on Phuket, I always recommend the southern part of the island since it's closer to the pier that the daytrip dive boats leave from. It increases transfer time on dive days if you stay at the northern end of the island.

Hi Maggie,

I guess I don't have to sell you Ao Nang, you know all of our diving and snorkeling sites from our local islands down to Phi Phi. What makes us different from the rest is that we cater for small groups and we try to avoid where the big boats drop in their divers. There must still be plenty to explore. In general, you can still pick and choose which areas to stay if you want to avoid the crowds.

Thanks katdiver!

Last time we were in Ao Nang was 2002, so I guess it has grown a lot. We have always liked it though. I was not a diver then, so I know I have plenty of sites to dive there. Have snorkeled some of them but don't remember much. I am much more interested in the marine life now, so I'm very curoius to go back.

I have done most of my diving in the Caribbean, so that's why I long for the Pacific marine life. So much more species.

Ao Nang is definitely one of the options we have and I would consider going back.

Are the dive conditions usually good in January there?

Maggy,

Consider staying at the Holiday Inn on Phi Phi or something next to it. I would stay clear of Tonsai Bay. You have amazing diving at the Bidas for example and can snorkel with your husband alone by hiring a long tail boat. My wife and I did this for the day, packed lunch and island hopped. In between the location of the Holiday Inn and Mosquito Island (or one of the other nearby islands) there is a reef you can snorkel without the annoying crowds if you take a long tail boat. They are very easy to hire.

I am not sure if Wayne is still at the dive shop at the Holiday Inn, but if he is I recommend you go diving with them even if you stay at the Natural Resort or something close to it.

Good luck,

Arizona

Yes, good diving and snorkelling there, Arizona. This week we've just been blown away with the black tip shark activity around Phi Phi. Both my Open Water student and my DSD diver saw plenty today. Even leopard sharks spotted by the snorkellers too.:D

Ao Nang local islands is still pretty though and I've found a couple of places where seahorses are to be found.

Ao Nang is currently going through an upgrade in accommodation. New guest houses and hotels have gone up and are being built. Nopparrat Thara is still largely undeveloped and quiet if you want to get away from the bustle.

January will be just fine for diving.

Last edited:
That sounds fantastic. Have never seen leopard sharks or black tips and a sea horse is also high on my list. Do daytrips from Ao Nang take divers to Phi Phi or is it too far?

For some reason my husband don't want to stay on Phi Phi, but a daytrip would be fine.

Still not decided where to go, but Ao Nang is definitely one option we really consider.

Thanks again for your replies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom