Thailand Diving -- House rental

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

billt4sf

Contributor
Reaction score
Fayetteville GA, Wash DC, NY, Toronto, SF
# of dives
500 - 999
We are in the early stages of planning a dive trip to Thailand. There will be four of us - two couples - and we are thinking we could reduce costs by renting a villa or house or a nice bungalow and sharing the costs.

It appears from reading some posts that people either dive Phuket or Ao Nang, with Ao Nang holding the edge in terms of top-side scenery. Is it possible to rent a villa-type accommodation in either of these places? If the diving is similar in both areas we would prefer something quieter and more laid-back, so I think that argues for Ao Nang. Are all the dives boat dives? Do both areas offer equal dive facilities like nitrox, steel tanks, and competent dive guides? What about price -- similar in both areas?

A quick check on Kayak shows that air fare in September is about HALF that in July! Are the dive conditions suitable in September?

Thanks for any comments!

Bill

Hi billt4sf,

July to September is not a great time to dive the Thailand West Coast (Phuket / Ao Nang / Khao Lak) as it's right in the middle of monsoon.

If you are coming to Thailand at that time you will find better conditions on the East Cost (Koh Tao / Phangan / Samui) - there are two separate weather systems that affect Thailand meaning the East and south is not on the same seasons as the rest of the country. You can dive from all the islands in the Gulf Of Thailand but if you choose Samui and Phagnan you usually end up paying a bit more and travelling to Koh Tao each day to dive anyway. July will be very busy but September will be quieter (and cheaper for flights) but the conditions will still be good.

You'll get competent guides. I'm not sure about Phuket but you can get Nitrox on Tao, it can be costly though and not necessary for most of the sites. Tao is boat diving, all sites are day trip close to the island (max 1 hour away). If you come from Samui or Phagnan you'll travel for longer and pay a little more. Tanks are aluminium not steel in Thailand but are still covered by the US DOT tank regulations.

We'd recommend looking for smaller dive shops on Tao to get the best experience and service. You can also find lots of villa rentals and cover most budgets. Have a look at some reviews.

Good luck and happy bubbles!

The differences in weather and diving conditions are far, far less than most websites and some posters will lead you to believe. You can dive everywhere in Thailand year round, except in the national parks that are closed a certain time of the year.

In general the tanks will be 12 liter aluminium, with 15 liters available, as will nitrox, quite often at a surcharge.

Ao Nang is a bit quieter than Phuket is, which also means that in September from Phuket there will be more people so more dive options. Also from Ao Nang you'll have more waves from the side, but I would not let either of these decide my destination.

We are in the early stages of planning a dive trip to Thailand. There will be four of us - two couples - and we are thinking we could reduce costs by renting a villa or house or a nice bungalow and sharing the costs. It appears from reading some posts that people either dive Phuket or Ao Nang, with Ao Nang holding the edge in terms of top-side scenery. Is it possible to rent a villa-type accommodation in either of these places?

Not a bad idea and you'll find some great villas to affordable prices - Just Google it!. Most hotels, guest houses, bungalow resorts and other accommodation also drops a lot in the summer season. As you are preferring something quieter and more laid-back, I would recommend you to look at Kamala, Kata and Rawai beach, while Patong is still to hectic and other beach destionations are a bit away (extra cost for transfer).

If the diving is similar in both areas we would prefer something quieter and more laid-back, so I think that argues for Ao Nang. Are all the dives boat dives?
Ao Nang only have boat dives. The dive sites are; Ao Nang islands, Phi Phi Islands, King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point and Anemone Reef.
Phuket only have boat diving in the summer season (beach available in the winter season). The dive sites are: Racha Noi, Racha Yai, Phi Phi Islands, King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point, Koh Doc Mai and Anemone Reef.

Do both areas offer equal dive facilities like nitrox, steel tanks, and competent dive guides?
Both have nitrox tanks for an additional charge. There are a lot of good dive guides around, but I think you should do yourself a favour and ask into the way each dive center do. An example is that we don't allow any staff to carry a camera underwater. We think the focus should be on the divers and not having a dive guide talking pictures all the time. Tell the dive center how you like to be guided and see if they fulfill your requests. A good dive guide will make a huge difference in how you experience your trip....

What about price -- similar in both areas?
Ao Nang is slightly more expenssive, but if you get a 3 or 5 days dive package the difference between them would not be big.

A quick check on Kayak shows that air fare in September is about HALF that in July! Are the dive conditions suitable in September?
The million dollar question about the weather:) Each summer season are different, but in general May and September can be very wet and windy. There is always a small chance of trips being cancelled, but most days are just great. From Phuket, trips are cancelled around 5 - 10 times per summer season and from Ao Nang a little bit more, due to more shallow water and bigger waves.

Ive had dives out of ao nang and phuket in july and august in different years and have had dives cancelled due to weather both places...for one day, the rest of the time no problems. Sure its going to rain - who cares, you are going to get wet anyway. Its thailand, it rains, even in the ''dry season''. Its just a matter of being a little flexible...if the boats arent going out that day, do something else topside. I personally prefer ao nang for its mellow laid back vibe over phuket (bangla road noisy tailors etc) and koh tao (too backpacker for me).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom