Thailand-Bankok and Phuket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SteveDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I booked and paid for a 17day trip to Thailand. Has anyone had any experience with diving in Thailand? I am looking for recommendations for dive operators especially in Phuket.

goofystan:
I booked and paid for a 17day trip to Thailand. Has anyone had any experience with diving in Thailand? I am looking for recommendations for dive operators especially in Phuket.

thailand is a very special place. you will enjoy it. when are you going? the season is closed on the west coast just about now until oct/november. you probably wont be able to get to the similians and i wouldnt recommed it as vis is not great at the moment. i was there for the second to last tour with the queen scuba. you might be able to get to hin daeng and hin muang from phi phi. they are also beautiful sites. right now it is the prime diving season for the east coast. id recommend koh tao. chumpon pinnacle, southwest pinnacle, shark island, sail rock are all great sites. however as everyone in thailand knows the diving is far better on the west coast. good luck with diving. any other info feel free to pm me. have fun!

sorry i didnt mention. but the reason the west coast closes down to diving is because of the heavy monsoons. when i left phuket about 2 weeks ago it was pouring.

A small correction: the West Coast does not close. Most of the diveshops are open and stay open, and the daytrips keep going basically every day. Last low season maybe on 2 occassions the daytrips were cancelled.
Even the trips to the Similans keep going, although far less.

Regarding the weather: at the moment it is nice and sunny, last week though we had a lot of rain. But even in between the rain showers there is sun, and it really is not as bad as a lot of people think, unless if you're really unlucky.

Check-out the link on my signature. Thailand's independant SCUBA board forum has good info.

The season now is in the Gulf of Thailand (Samui and Tao islands) but the diving there is not that great (certainly not world class). Upper-Andaman season (Similians/Richlue) is over due to monsoon season. Sites in Phuket area are open for daytrips.

Do a little research and feel free to PM with specific questions and recommendations.

Sunrise:
When are you going GoofyStan?

I am going to Thialand April of 2006. I booked early and got an excellent deal. 17days for 1399.00 per person including lodging and some tours. The flight from LA is also included.....I will have to fly from Houston to LA which is only about another 400.00 per person...

Well, there you go. Everyone assumed you were going now. April is a great month for diving, the best month to have a chance of big fish sightings at Richelieu Rock and Hin Daeng. Weather is hot, real hot. Seas should be very calm.

Best diving is on liveaboards. Of course that means missing out on your hotel for a few days, but the liveaboards reach parts that day trips cannot reach. OK, you can make day trips to Similan or Hin Daeng, but it's a long day for 2 dives.

If you're looking to do as much diving as possible, maybe combine a liveaboard with a day trip package for the local sites.

Now, let me see, can I recommend a dive center.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom