TG5 and YS-01 : TTL issue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for sharing..been using their settings but somehow the strobe doesn't works as what been shown on the video...but i guess is 'trial and error' thing for me at the moment
Why don't you drop them an email?

Hi Chris ..yes it does...as i increase the power setting..the image get brighter
I think your best solution is probably trying to use manual flash exposure. Set the camera to Av and f2.8 - 6.3 (it changes as you zoom) set the strobe to manual 1/64 and have your strobe on manual. Adjust the power to get the exposure correct for a subject at average distance which will be maybe 100-200mm with the TG-6. As long as you don't change anything and stay at that distance the exposure should stay the same. If a photo comes out dark it is most likely the strobe is being blocked by something on the reef and you need to re-position it. Try that out for a while before switching to microscope mode. The challenge with microscope mode is positioning the strobe correctly as the subject is often shaded my the housing.

You can do a setup on land, just do it in a dimly lit room so the ambient light is not varying setup on a small toy or something about 100-200mm away adjust your strobe position as suggested in the videos and with settings as above. Take a shot and tweak it till the exposure looks right. That's you starting point to shoot underwater. When you first go in shoot something like a small sponge that's not going to move and adjust till the exposure looks good. Then go on with your dive and pick subjects at about the same distance of 100-200mm for a start. The exposure needed will not change noticeably. Once you get that right slowly expand and adjust as you go. Shoot in Raw as it's easier to correct minor exposure errors.

I think your best solution is probably trying to use manual flash exposure. Set the camera to Av and f2.8 - 6.3 (it changes as you zoom) set the strobe to manual 1/64 and have your strobe on manual. Adjust the power to get the exposure correct for a subject at average distance which will be maybe 100-200mm with the TG-6. As long as you don't change anything and stay at that distance the exposure should stay the same. If a photo comes out dark it is most likely the strobe is being blocked by something on the reef and you need to re-position it. Try that out for a while before switching to microscope mode. The challenge with microscope mode is positioning the strobe correctly as the subject is often shaded my the housing.

You can do a setup on land, just do it in a dimly lit room so the ambient light is not varying setup on a small toy or something about 100-200mm away adjust your strobe position as suggested in the videos and with settings as above. Take a shot and tweak it till the exposure looks right. That's you starting point to shoot underwater. When you first go in shoot something like a small sponge that's not going to move and adjust till the exposure looks good. Then go on with your dive and pick subjects at about the same distance of 100-200mm for a start. The exposure needed will not change noticeably. Once you get that right slowly expand and adjust as you go. Shoot in Raw as it's easier to correct minor exposure errors.

Tks for the tips....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom