Texas Treasure Coast/Texas Wreck Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MichaelBaranows

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I can't find the orginal thread but I know there was some talk about wreck diving in Texas. So I figured that I would start a new one. I have only read about 35 pages so far but I think it is only about 85 pages anyway. I am kind give a report about the book.

Update:

I got the found and purchased the book Texas Treasure Coast last week. I recieved it on Monday and have read about several wrecks ago the coast. The book was first published in '79 so alot of things have changed in the last 25 years. In the 3rd edition was published in '96 and is suppose to be up-dated with some charts and wreck locations. The author if the book Tom Townsend is a founding member of the Houston Treasure Hunters so it seems that he knows and done alot of research about Texas Ship wrecks. The book is written more like a novel than a research book.

The book is written in chronological order so most of the wrecks I have read about so far are very much covered in sand. Most of these early wrecks where in caused from boats/ships running aground. One wreck was in Galveston Bay and has even been visable above water from time to time on very low tide.

The guy that wrote the book Tom Townsend said that he dove the a wreck known to locals as the boilers (cause the boiler used to be able to be seen above the water). The wreck was right off the beach of Freeport and in the '60s Tom even dove the wreck and found a few artifacts but since then it has pretty much rusted aways. (Sorry I can't remember the name of the wreck right now)

As of last night I was reading about the Hattera which sunk off the Coast of Galveston during the Civil War in about 60' of water. I have also read a little about it on the internet and seems like the boat is pretty much intact but is covered in sand. The good thing is has been preserved but the bad news is that you wouldn't be able to see it unless you dig up a bunch of sand.

I will update again once I read more of the book.

I used to work for the State Marine Archaeologist of Texas. There are appox 2,500 wrecks in Texas waters. These can be anything from rowboat, shrimp boats to historic wrecks.

The boilers is the Denbigh. A project was started several years ago and I believe it is still ongoing. It is being conducted by the Institute of Nautical Archaeology. This is where I received my Master's Degree as well.

Back
Top Bottom