Texas Swamp Divers on the move

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RumBum

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We're a couple of Texans who are currently living a mobile lifestyle. We've moved into a motorhome and are traveling through your territory this fall. We're comfortable with lake diving and have drysuits. Currently in north NM and going to Blue Hole tomorrow, we'll be travelling around the four corners area next week and slowly heading towards Quartzsite for November-ish. The travel plans are loosely structured and pliable.
So if you were in our position, what dive sites would you visit?:auto:

Thanks for your help!:)

If you want a great dive in Arizona, you will get ahold of the Scubateers Scubateers - Arizona Boat Diving - Scuba Diving - Arizona Dive Boats. As far as I know, they are the only operating dive boat in AZ. You'll want to let them know that you're interested in diving the "Old Dam." I think the cost now is right around $39.00 for a two tank dive. This dive will defenitely be worth it for you! Most AZ. divers head to Lake Pleasant in Peoria, AZ., it's one of the best lakes for diving you will find here. The Scubateers boat is at this lake as well as the fact you will also have many different locations for shore dives to choose from. Enjoy AZ. diving and stay safe!

George the Greek

LOL, thanks Ian, we're missing you too! Will shoot you an email tonight! :D

If you don't mind taking a drive north of Four Corners, I came across what I think is a small, accessible, and diveable lake about an hour outside of Durango, Colorado. It sits at 10,000 feet. Probably pretty cold, but if you want to join the "Almost Two Miles High Club" it's probably a good option.

You might also motor up to Lake Mead if you'll be out near the western border of the state. In late fall the level of the lake may be low enough that you can dive on the B-29 without trimix (call Joel Silverstein at Tech Diving Limited, as they have a permit to dive on it).

We will check out Lake Pleasant for sure. The lake in CO sounds interesting, does it have a name?
We might dive Lake Mead. What's the current depth for the B-29?
Does anyone drive into Mexico to dive the Sea of Cortez? Is that part of Mexico a reasonably safe area for Americans these days?

Does anyone drive into Mexico to dive the Sea of Cortez? Is that part of Mexico a reasonably safe area for Americans these days?

ABSOLUTELY! Please check out the San Carlos website:
San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico and also Sonora Is Safe Website - Home Page.

RumBum, it is just like the US cities - if you go looking for trouble (drugs), you'll find it! Like Chicago in the 1930s --- well, looking at the corruption today, maybe . . . but I digress --- the drug cartels are warring with the Federales. However, all know on which side their bread is butter, and they do not want Americans involved either as victims or as federal government!

Set your GPS for the "Mariposa Highway" border crossing. From there to the San Carlos turnoff is about 4 hours, 10 minutes. One turn west, and San Carlos is 10 minutes. Gary's Dive shop is the largest operation and they have a website and answer emails promptly.

The only thing I ask is --- take me with you! :date: I don't know how to make guacamole, but I'll learn! Please . . .. Please . .. . . I'm in withdrawal . . . .

(Hope you love it like I do!!!)

take me with you!
After offering up great info and websites like that, Usry, you are welcome to come along! :yelclap: Now, we do live in a 240 square foot space (no slides on this bus) so pack light. And you'll have to bring your own avacodos. The cats have already claimed the couch. :snicker:

If driving the bus is anything like driving my YUGO...count me in :) I could use San Carlos diving right about now

Back
Top Bottom