Texas Swamp Dive Team Does Athens Scuba Park

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TexasMike

Contributor
Reaction score
The Texas Swamp Diving Team would like to invite everyone in the Dallas/Ft. Worth and North Texas areas to come dive with us this weekend at the Athens Scuba Park in Athens, Texas. This will be one of our largest group dives yet with at least 15 divers in attendance (we started this with only 6 people just 13 weeks ago!), so if you are looking for a fun group to dive and hang out with, please join us. Divers of all skill levels are invited, and new divers are especially encouraged to attend.

Athens Scuba Park will be holding their annual luau while we are there. This means that there will be added Hawaiian flavored fun including games, a limbo contest (extra points for doing this with your fins on), and a catered Hawaiian dinner ($10.00 per person). Also, Calvin will be having an underwater treasure hunt where some lucky divers can win some waaay cool gear (last time I was there, a teenager won a $500 u/w metal detector).

For those not familiar with Athens Scuba Park, this is an old clay quarry that used to produce materials for a brick making plant. The quarry spans about 6-8 acres of water with an average depth of 20 feet (though there are spots of 23 and 25 feet). Many have reported low visibility at Athens, but lately it has been upwards of 30-40 feet. There are several underwater attractions including a C140 Lear Jet, a houseboat once owned by Clint Eastwood, a tour bus used by Ray Price, several cruiser boats, and much more. Water temperature this time of year is a balmy 80-degrees so just a minimum of exposure protection is required.

A full dive shop is on the premises for air fills ($5.00), gear purchases/rentals and repairs. Hot showers are in the bathrooms. And there is plenty of shade for us to sit in. Park admission fee is $25.00/day for each person (both divers and non-divers). Camping is available. A map and directions to the park can be found their website. Or I can provide directions if needed.

We will be diving off of Dock #1, but if you tell them you are with us, the shop personnel will direct you to the right place.

I plan on arriving Friday Night and camping through the weekend. I also will be doing night dives on Friday and Saturday if you want to join me for that and have never done one (everything takes on a spooky appearance at night).

For more information, please e-mail me at dcas2000@hotmail.com.

We look forward to seeing you there!!!

--TexasMike
  • What: Texas Swamp Diving Team invades Athens
    Where: Athens Scuba Park, Athens, TX
    When: Saturday, August 25, 9:00am till ???
    Cost: $25/person for park entry, $5.00 per air fill, catered dinner $10.00
    What to bring:
    • Yourself
    • Dive gear
    • Money for admissison and air fills (and dinner)
    • Towel
    • blue tarp to lay your dive gear on
    • Folding chair (some extras will be brought if you forget)
    • Cooler with water and snacks
    • Photos of recent dives (if you have them)
    • Your favorite dive related story to share with us
    • Sense of adventure and humor

Now you can't go having a Texas Bar-B-Q without Budweiser! Must add Budweiser to the list!

You guys have fun...Wish I could join you.

the rare Iguana Don? If so will there be a contingent of photographer type both above and below the water surface?

TexasMike--have you heard from Iguana Don?

JayBeeDee....

Yes it is,

Yes there will be (at least with my $7.50 disposable u/w Fuji camera)

and

No I haven't.

Don't you mean AUGUST 25th? Wish I could make it ;^(

Yes...seems like everytime I post a Swamster Do, I get the date wrong.....

When you read this, it will have been edited....

Since I took my stuff in monday for annual may rent from shop at Athens or check with my old instructor or some buddies and see if I can borrow b.c. and reg...hope to see you there this weekend. Even took my tank in for visual...nammit...

You know guys...

I have always had my suspicions whenever I read your guys posts... but this has gone too far! I mean, "Debbie does Dallas" was bad enough, but this "Texas Swamp Dive Team Does Athens Scuba Park " sounds highly perverted, Chester... Just my cursory observation, and you mileage may vary.

:tease:

Hey Sealskin, that is why I always take my gear in for maint in January when I know I will not be diving anytime soon. :D

Hope you can make it!

Back
Top Bottom