Texas river diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

texdiveguy

Contributor
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a question(s).... what rivers in Texas are divable??? I have never dove in a river, is it like drift diving?

Haven't done many myself...but:

San Marcos River (fed by Aquarena Springs - sp? home of the late diving, not SCUBA, pig...also a nice dive). Vis is around 25ft but depth is only about 15.

I was also told that the Frio river north of Uvalde near one of the state parks is actually 20ft and you can dive there, but its a traditional muddy Texas river.

The Comal river near New Braunfels is another I was told about. I was told it can get to 20ft in some places and the vis gets pretty bad when tubers are numerous and that there is alot of trash from them.

And that is all of the Texas river diving I've heard of. Diving in rivers can be different than a lake. Alot of it depends on the river and the section you are diving. Unlike most lakes, you can get a heavy current in a river and can either run the standard start your diver into the current with 1/3 of your air, down for the last 1/3 or you can drift it.

tbuckalew:
Haven't done many myself...but:

San Marcos River (fed by Aquarena Springs - sp? home of the late diving, not SCUBA, pig...also a nice dive). Vis is around 25ft but depth is only about 15.

I was also told that the Frio river north of Uvalde near one of the state parks is actually 20ft and you can dive there, but its a traditional muddy Texas river.

The Comal river near New Braunfels is another I was told about. I was told it can get to 20ft in some places and the vis gets pretty bad when tubers are numerous and that there is alot of trash from them.

And that is all of the Texas river diving I've heard of. Diving in rivers can be different than a lake. Alot of it depends on the river and the section you are diving. Unlike most lakes, you can get a heavy current in a river and can either run the standard start your diver into the current with 1/3 of your air, down for the last 1/3 or you can drift it.

Thanks ...thats more then I knew a bit ago. I read your BIO--- a 141' dive to a STUDENT platform,,,they take their diving serious!

I believe the lake was the Attersee in Austria. There was a 1920's era truck just off off the platform that was carrying a load a new porcelin toilets that ran into the late in the mid-30s. Right next to it was a sign in a few languages stating:

Danger! Dive No Deeper...Check Air!

They also had these clear acrylic bubbles anchored at 35ft and 75ft you could pop into, release a couple of shots of air from your regulator (rule) and see what your voice sounded like or for instructors to speak with students. And, a coin operated compressor station with DIN and Yoke adapters.

Great campout that weekend.

tbuckalew:
I believe the lake was the Attersee in Austria. There was a 1920's era truck just off off the platform that was carrying a load a new porcelin toilets that ran into the late in the mid-30s. Right next to it was a sign in a few languages stating:

Danger! Dive No Deeper...Check Air!

They also had these clear acrylic bubbles anchored at 35ft and 75ft you could pop into, release a couple of shots of air from your regulator (rule) and see what your voice sounded like or for instructors to speak with students. And, a coin operated compressor station with DIN and Yoke adapters.

Great campout that weekend.

That is really kool and interesting...never seen the likes of anything such as that.

The Blue Grotto near Crystal River Florida has a bell like that at 40 feet or so. Surface supplied air. Pop into the bubble and you can talk to someone else. Sounds weird in there though. At the nearby Devils Den the DM took us into a natural place where you could take out your reg and breathe air. Really cool

leiserom:
The Blue Grotto near Crystal River Florida has a bell like that at 40 feet or so. Surface supplied air. Pop into the bubble and you can talk to someone else. Sounds weird in there though. At the nearby Devils Den the DM took us into a natural place where you could take out your reg and breathe air. Really cool

Yea thats on my list of gotta see and do---The Blue Grotto.....I bet that is a hoot!

Back
Top Bottom