Texas Rig Divers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

txdano

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Do any of you dive Texas rigs using a personal off shore boat? (not through charters). Looking for information on rules/regulations, safety, good sites etc. Also for a DM with rig diving experience that might want to go out with some people and show them the ropes.

Done several trips out of Matagorda on a private vessel...depends on weather and how far out you want to go...the blue water line is usually around 25-30 miles out.

Rigs vary in size and the larger ones usually attract fishing boats...use common courtesy with them. Don't drop in without consulting with the folks that were there first.

It's a long cruise out and back...takes all day for a two-tank dive and fuel is expensive if not shared between several people. If I'm not spearing and bringing home meat, it's not really worth it for me from a sight-seeing perspective.

Aug & Sept the blue water comes in close. I've launched a Hobie off the beach at Corpus and sailed out to inshore rigs. No particular regulations that I know of. Few if any of those rigs are manned.

I made several trips last summer and made around a dozen dives. Once the water smooths down a little more I will start making so trips spearfishing. Depending on the amount of rain we get the blue water can get with in a few miles of shore. I dive a dive on a small platform about 15 miles out that the water was very blue. Also the farther south the go the closer normally will be to shore.

I normally dive out of Matagorda or Freeport. The large rigs seem to have a big mix of fish but I have been surprised by some on the smalled rigs also.

As far as regulation there aren't many unless the rig has no tie off signs. Many of the rigs are un-manned so you won't be bothered.

Make sure you watch the currents and everything should be OK.

Thanks for the info folks, I appreciate it.

txdano:
Do any of you dive Texas rigs using a personal off shore boat? (not through charters). Looking for information on rules/regulations, safety, good sites etc. Also for a DM with rig diving experience that might want to go out with some people and show them the ropes.

If your not able to find a DM while diving remember to stay in or just outside the rig legs. If you lose sight of the legs come to the surface to move back to the structure.
Try to find a larger platform to start diving on there should be several pipes going in the water together, these usually atract alot of marine life.

Randy

Cap335:
If your not able to find a DM while diving remember to stay in or just outside the rig legs. If you lose sight of the legs come to the surface to move back to the structure.
Try to find a larger platform to start diving on there should be several pipes going in the water together, these usually atract alot of marine life.

Randy

Also always leave at least one person on the boat while others are diving, 2 is even a better idea if you can. Leave a trip plan with someone, take a marine radio-cell phone/emg. 02 and first aid kit, plus a signaling device for the boat.

The last time I went to the rigs (in June of '05) I was told to get permission before dropping in on the rig. With the terrorist crap going on, they are really watching who goes in the water around the live rigs. If it is not in use, you should have an easier time getting in. Just my experience, I don't know if it is like that at all rigs.

RadRob:
The last time I went to the rigs (in June of '05) I was told to get permission before dropping in on the rig.
Also would serve the purpose of letting someone know where you were diving, etc. Like filing a flight plan before a cross-country trip.

Willie

When you say permission, do you just call the platform dispatcher on radio to see if its okay. Or do you do something more formal.

Back
Top Bottom