Texas Diving During Early March

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CenTexDivin

Contributor
Reaction score
Directly above the center of the Earth in the Texa
# of dives
50 - 99
After the first six weeks of school, I've gotta get out do some diving outside of training labs in the pool. Spring break is coming up March 9 - 18. I was thinking about either staying around Austin (Travis, Canyon, or Aquarena) or maybe hitting the coast, but didn't know if anyone else had any plans. Let me know if you have any ideas or suggestions.

Thanks,

Pete

I wouldn't mind trying out this Aquarena place I keep reading about. If you end up going, let me know. I'll move some vacation days and make a camping trip out of it.

If there hasn't been a lot of rain recently, that's the time to be looking for travis to have some of the best vis of the year as surface water starts warming and lake stops turning over and settles out. Water is still pretty cold and so lake traffic not yet peaking(although it will take an upturn any spring break week). In 'the old days' the change was a lot greater, as increased development around lake has increased silt levels year round nowadays. With possiblility for warm sunny days the chill waters don't seem so bad.

I plan to start watching vis at travis closely starting about a week after we start getting consistant avg nightly temps above 55. I am just waiting for better conditions visibility wise before diving, I have new u/w housing for my digicam from christmas and vis has sucked ever since then, like getting a new bicycle and it rains all the time so you can't ride. :(

Hope to be able to convince a buddy of mine to break out the boat for some Travis boat diving as soon as vis improves. The rising gas prices has him amenable to ferrying me and some other divers around the lake on a nice sunny day in exchange for some gas. When water warms he likes to dive too, but hard to convince him to get into water when surface temps below 60 anymore.

NadMat:
like getting a new bicycle and it rains all the time so you can't ride. :(

Kinda like getting new scuba gear that you can't take out and get wet yet?

Kunk35:
I wouldn't mind trying out this Aquarena place I keep reading about. If you end up going, let me know. I'll move some vacation days and make a camping trip out of it.

Let me know before you hit San Marcos, and I'll make sure I'm off of work. Aquarena is almost in my backyard. I don't think there's really anywhere to camp unless you want to shack up with a freshman in the dorms at the school or camp out underneath the stadium lights of the football field across the street.

Only problem with Aquarena is that you have to have a special science license to swim in the best part (Spring Lake) and costs around $200. There is another part that is open to divers w/o a license, but its about the size of a large pool, and about as deep.

Aquarena is not open to the general diving public.

The lake itself is protected under both the Federal Endangered Species act and the Texas Antiquities Act. Diving in the lake itself requires a science diver certification from the Texas River Systems Institute at Aquarena (2 day class/test @$220.00). After you get the certification, the diving is strictly controlled under a volunteer program to maintain the Lake and the Springs. You need to request a dive permit at least 72 hours in advance, and once granted, you have to restrict your dive to the Lake area and maintenance task assigned. Diving without a certification or a permit is a serious violation of both the federal and state statutes, and if you get caught by an officer who’s having a bad day, the fines can be HUGE.

The “practice” area is open to the public only for schedules OW certification classes or other occasional special events. You can’t dive in the practice area unless you’re registered for one of the classes or special events.

It’s well worth it to get the certification. The lake is a gorgeous, crystal clear gem right in the heart of Texas. Its chock full of fish species and being able to get close up to the actual springs is amazing. It was the best money I’ve spent on diving hands down, and I’m there as often as I can get there. Once you’re certified, getting a permit is easy as long as you follow the rules. I generally make it down there several times a month.

I'm coming home March 12 - 19th for my birthday. Couldn't make Playa work, so San Antonio here I come. The flower gardens is too much, any other ideas? I'm game, drop me a line.

Thanks for the info on Aquarena Bogrady. I've been wondering what it's all about. I just may look into getting that certification later in the year.

ltts_profplot_ppm.gif

From the latest temp info from University of Texas Applied Research Laboratories it looks like the water column should start settling out soon if we do not get any more hard cold stuff. As soon as the top jogs a bit more to the right I will be ready to go. Guess I better get my butt down to Macks and get me my new big bootie fins so I will be ready to go. Maybe will finally get to play with my new camera housing and take some pics.

Back
Top Bottom