Texas dive location help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craborn

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hello Fellow Divers. I am close to Texarkana Ar. I am looking for a place to take two divers the end of March where they will not be cold! Do any of you have any suggestions. Can't afford to drive to Florida! Something warm enough! Please send me a message. Thanks, Clay Raborn

That's a tough one to fill. Don't think there's enough warm days and nights in March to lower the thermocline in the lakes to checkout depth. I assume you're taking a couple students out? Even Perky Power Plant lake will still be chilly below 10 ffw, albeit balmy on the surface. What temps are you looking for? What's NOT cold to some is toasty to others. Where are you located near Texarkana? I'm just 40 miles south.

Yup, that's a tough one. The only "warm" water I know of in Texas that time of year will be the Comal River and Balmorhea State Park (both in the low 70's year round). Unfortunately, both are quite shallow, so if you are taking them for checkout dives, that might be a problem. Balmorhea is a little deeper (max of about 20 feet...if you stretch), but it's about as far away from you as Morrison Springs or Vortex Springs in Florida. The Comal, in New Braunfels, is a nice drift dive but, again, 18-20 feet is about the max depth. I cannot think of a single lake that would be anywhere near what I would call "comfortable" that time of year.
If you find an answer to this one, please let me know!

Lake Travis last year around that time was about 72 surface temp, 61 at 55 feet, and mid-50 deep.

I would say anything above 68-70 Plus-- would work. My lakes will still be low 60's and that is not going to work for this group and I don't mean that ugly. It is not but two divers but I need to get it done for them before April.
WHere is Lake Travis?
Anyone know how I can get in touch with Perky Power Plant? I have been searching for a number or someone to talk to?
I am just east of Texarkana on Lake Erling! If you want to train black water I have the perfect lake! haha
I appreciate all of you and your suggestions!

I have never dived in Perky Power Plant but it sounds like the kinda thing I am looking for!

The Comal, in New Braunfels, is a nice drift dive but, again, 18-20 feet is about the max depth.
Did you dig to get to 18-20 or have I been missing the abyss? Max I usually see is 13-14..
Share your secrets and coordinates.. :wink:

Okay, Torpedo, you may have caught me in a slight "Texan exaggeration" (There IS such a thing? NOooooo! Say it isn't so!) But I do seem to recall that one summer when the spring was running pretty high that there was a single spot just below Prince Solms park steps that actually did give an 18 foot reading...IF you held your computer down in one of the cracks in the rock bottom...:D

Okay, Torpedo, you may have caught me in a slight "Texan exaggeration" (There IS such a thing? NOooooo! Say it isn't so!) But I do seem to recall that one summer when the spring was running pretty high that there was a single spot just below Prince Solms park steps that actually did give an 18 foot reading...IF you held your computer down in one of the cracks in the rock bottom...:D

There is a spot in the Comal 18' deep across the street from Wursthalle. That's UPstream of Landa Falls, just below a small waterfall. Dove there once, not knowing it was off limits and didn't ask. Loads of crawfish. But last time we were politely advised by some park police to not dive there. So, kinda like Aquarena right now ... it exists, but not an option.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom