Texas Clipper

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Maybe we'll just have to dive it from the mooring spot where it sank....LOL
:laughing:

debraw, The initial repair will not be charged to the texas program its still part of the maritime fleet. It does make you wonder,of all the ships in the fleet why this one at this time. We can be thankful they didn't transfer title to the program and this happen on our dime.

Debraw:
I guess I am thinking it is "gone" because it doesn't seem as if there is any money left for bringing it up and then the move. I hope I am totally wrong.

Well, one thing we can all do is start calling TPWD as well as our local representatives. While talking with the DSO at TPWD, he told me that fishermen have the loudest voices so TPWD is more apt to work with them than divers. He said there are not enough divers calling in to voice their concerns. Last year I was asked to be on a committee to bring a large ship to Texas to sink. Initially I was encouraged but then it died. This is the same reason public meetings are being held along the coast and not anywhere else. There are more vocal fishing charter services that have a real stake in protecting the artifical reef program and in getting a ship to Texas.

We need to voice our concerns and then continue to voice our concerns. Remember, the squeaky wheel, right....

Suspicious indeed! Well it is correct that the squeaky wheel gets the grease. I hoep they get this figured out but i have a sneaky suspicion it may not ever make it to it's final resting place.

Oriskany....here I come!

I am going to try and dive it next Spring. I know that it will be sunk May 17 but I have to many other things planned this summer. I also want to deep dive it so there is some more training involved.

From Reefhound:

Texas Clipper

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is a copy of a post on the CHUM board.

The Texas Clipper did indeed settle her stern at her berth in Beaumont. I'm unsure whether the exact cause was a leak, a bilge pump problem, or something else, but she has been fixed and is floating again.

However, as a result of this incident MARAD (who currently holds title to her) has decided that maybe she'd be better off scrapped and has sent out emergency RFP's to get bids on scrapping her.

PLEASE WRITE MARAD AND LET THEM KNOW TEXAS DIVERS DON'T WANT HER SCRAPPED.

Emails should be sent to Ms. Julie Nelson (julie.nelson@dot.gov) with a CC to Ms. Zoe Washnis (zoe.washnis@dot.gov).

A sample email is below. Feel free to cut & paste, but the more you add your own input and personalize it, the better the responses will be. One suggestion from Dale Shively is: ask them a question invoking a response. If you just make a statement then they are under no obligation to respond. If they are forced to respond, then that indicates they have read the email.

please post this on any other boards that you are a member of

23 May 2006

Dear Ms. Nelson,

I have heard from Texas Parks & Wildlife that MARAD is considering scrapping the Texas Clipper. We in the Texas scuba diving community have eagerly followed the Texas Clipper's progress over the years and strongly believe that local tourism, scuba divers, and sport and commercial fishermen would all benefit greatly from the Clipper's being made an artificial reef.

Florida has had two strong examples of this - first the Spiegel Grove, which even when the sinking went drastically different than planned became a first-class dive site and most recently the Oriskany, which has received enthusiastic support from the dive community and has divers from all over the U.S. booking trips to Escambia County Florida.

Texas has much invested in the Texas Clipper. She has a proud history, and Texas Parks and Wildlife has spent many man hours to bring her into the Artificial Reef Program. Please don't let all of this end up in the scrap yard.

What is the exact status of the Texas Clipper project? What can we as Texas dive clubs, dive shops, and individual divers do to ensure she becomes an artificial reef in Texas?

Sincerely,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom