Texas Clipper Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

driftwood

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
The American Statesmen has this article today.

Sunken ship lists at bottom of Gulf

First, is the information correct and second, what impact will it have on dive trips to the wreck? Third, how many divers will it take push and to swim like H**L and get her upright? (LOL!)

Texas has spent a lot of money and divers have spent a lot of effort to get her there. The article is pretty pessimistic regarding recreational dives on the wreck.

Yes, it is a pessimistic read, but then it's the Austin American-Statesman. First, fish can still get into the wreck. There are lots of holes to choose from on the starboard side, wheelhouse, etc. I have not dove the wreck as yet, although I was there for the reefing, but being on her port side leaves the top of the wreck at 62 feet. That is out of range for Jr. divers and maybe some novice divers. I would think the wreck is still a great dive, but maybe some of those who have dove her can add to this. I still plan on diving her when I am able to get down there.

KHOU Ch 11 in Houston reported last night that TP&W is embarrassed because a WWII transport that they just sunk of the TX coast is floating just below the surface.
What gives??
Was this reported in error?

First, it's CH 11 that should be embarrassed for doing such a sloppy incorrect report. I dived it 2 days after the sinking and it is definitely on the bottom. This is a massive steel ship and many doubt the contractors will even be able to float it enough to roll it upright.

Second, as it is the Clipper will be a very good dive. Being upright would simply make it a world-class dive. The top rail is at 62 feet which technically calls for AOW, but frankly the typical sea conditions there call for that anyway. Depth is not an issue, IMO. Neither will be marine life, which will adapt to her however she lies. The issue will be the swim-thrus and penetrations, which will be significantly more complex and disorienting. Sure, divers should always have appropriate training before venturing into overheads but you know the reality is divers are always tempted to do "an easy swim-thru" or "light penetration".

KHOU Ch 11 in Houston reported last night that TP&W is embarrassed because a WWII transport that they just sunk of the TX coast is floating just below the surface.
What gives??
Was this reported in error?

Your first mistake was believing a newscast. LOL! The reporter may have misspoke...I know that's hard to believe. :wink: Here's the link to the story on the KHOU website: Sunken ship lists at bottom of Gulf | TOP STORIES | Breaking Houston News, Weather, Sports, Traffic, Video from KHOU.com | 11 News

Even it is a little misleading saying that the wreck is not penetrable by fish and divers since it settled on it's side. Contradictory too because later they quote Tim O'Leary as saying the TX Clipper is better suited to experienced cave divers rather than recreational divers. I'm pretty sure cave divers still fall under the definition of "divers" and if a diver can get in there so can a fish or two. :D

Believe Reefhound. I suggest rather than ask, Go down and book a dive and see for your self. You don't need a passport. Southwest has cheap fares to Harlingen and Last time I checked Motel 6 rate on the island was 29.99. Do it before spring break because it gets wild on the island in the spring.PARTY PADRE

Absolutely!!!

It was such a short blurb-20 seconds that I thought-where did they get their info from?
All the reports I have been hearing say it is just fine. Sounds like the facts checker was not in that day at KHOU.
Cool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom