Tex Edwards Dive 10/8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PensacolaNewbie

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Four of us set out for the Tex Edwards at first light Thursday. At first, the rollers in the pass were glass smooth about 2 feet high. As they got higher, they got rougher and we wondered if this trip was such a good idea. However, once we got out of the pass, the seas were calm. We dove in pairs and the first pair splashed about 8. They came back with reports of sharks in the 4 foot range. As I was rinsing my mask, it slippped from my hand and I could only watch it drop away as I had tanks on, no fins and obviously, no mask. I shouted to see if anyone else could grab it. Nobody could see it. One of my buddies went in but couldn't find it. I ended up borrowing a mask, but since mine has special lenses, I didn't have the best of visibility.

Once on the bottom the viz was 30' (measured with marks on my reel line). While I never found my mask, I did find an anchor in pretty good shape. Kinda makes up for losing one on the same wreck a few months ago.

By the time the other pair returned from their second dive they reported sighting a total of 7 sharks for the day. Since I had never seen even one, I was a little skeptical, but near the end of our second dive I spotted one too. All I could see was a vague outline about 4 feet lone at just about the limit of our visibility.

It was a great day and we had the wreck to ourselves. I'm still getting comfortable handling equipment in the water so I didn't have my camera with me. Hope I'm ready the next time I see a shark.

Too bad about your mask, but sounds like a good time otherwise. Thanks for the report.

Cool, thanks for the report. I'm glad you got a nice anchor. I wonder why there were so many sharks.

THanks for the report! Always fun to see sharks out on the local sites!

Back
Top Bottom