Tethering Policy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

espantoon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Our Police Dive Team is undergoing some changes at the request of our Command, the main change being that they want us to be tethered full time. We currently do not dive tethered under most circumstances; usually we are always holding some sort of jack stay or up line but not hard attached. I'm looking for some training lesson plans or guidance in reference, and am interested in the professional opinions or hard facts for tethered vs. non tethered diving. Thanks!

George,
Baltimore, Md

2014 Training Series - Fort Pierce, Florida

There is still space available in this year's Florida Training Series hosted by Indian River State College and St. Lucie County Sheriff's Office. Courses include:

Dive Rescue I -  March 14-16
Evidence Recovery Operations (DRII) - March 17-18
Light Salvage and Recovery (DRII) - March 19-21
Med Dive - March 22-23
Public Safety Scuba Instructor - March 24-28
Dive Rescue I Trainer - March 30-April 3
Dry Suit Diving Trainer - April 4-6

To download a flyer/class registration form, please click on the following link: http://www.diverescueintl.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/Fort_Pierce_FL_2014.pdf

We hope to see you there! 

Thank you! I will pass this on to my command, and see of we can get any of my guys into any courses this year.

Hard and fast rules via policy don't "always" address the need.
I think it depends on the situation and every one tends to be different, as you know.
In a lot of dives we utilize a line that we hang on to, but not attached to, because it fits with the search patterns we use.
If the situation dictates a line can be attached.
We often dive strong current and low/no vis.
As a diver I don't like to be "hard attached" if I can avoid it , because it's my decision to easily release the line if need be.
I don't know if I've given you my opinion, but policies are usually written from a "knee jerk reaction" not necessarily common sense.

Okay, we did the same exact thing you described; tethering when necessary for the mission, but mostly free. I agree with you about disliking having an entanglement hazard with me all the time, but this is coming from our boss to be tethered (unless I can come up with empirical evidence that supports no tether over tether). Thanks for your reply!

If your boss dives with you and he/she feels safe with a tethered "policy" you might be fighting an uphill battle. I know if I were writing the policy I' d use wording that ultimately left it open to a decision based on the circumstances of the situation. In my opinion the decision to dive, not to dive, or how to dive ultimately falls back on the diver.

Unfortunately, our boss is not a diver, he oversees the entire division. I'm the Lt running the team, and I attempted to make my arguments. For now we will have to be tethered, but I'm still working on him...

What's his agenda? Reaction to an issue/accident or dept. CYA.
He's really tying you/your teams hands. On the water, IMHO it's ultimately still your decision, especially when you head up the team. - They going to take away your birthday :)
In policy, words like "always, shall, never, will" don't help anyone!
Good luck.

I will let you know how things work out. It's still a "work in progress" as far as I'm concerned, and will continue to voice my professional opinion. Thanks again for your insight!

Wow, you're up late on the East coast! Good luck, I hope things work out for you :) Safe Diving!

Back
Top Bottom