Testing Canister Cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Late to the party, but the second you said that there was only one capacitor and I saw that thing, I noticed it had a bit of a bulge in it (even at the bottom). Good luck replacing it and fixing it overall :happywave:

FYI- I have some information from another forum member regarding the single capacitor.
It is wired in parallel so both circuits take advantage of it.
He gave me some other information as well which is helpful to understand the benefit of the circuits.

FYI- I have some information from another forum member regarding the single capacitor.
It is wired in parallel so both circuits take advantage of it.
He gave me some other information as well which is helpful to understand the benefit of the circuits.

care to share with the group?

Info came from Lucca Brassi - I copied and pasted his reply.

"That capacitor ( as I see it is electrolytic capacitor ) as you say is connected between + and - of one piezo circuit .

Because all electric consumers are wired parallel it work for both circuits .

Reason why is there is probably the same as 2 ferite rings on red/black power supply wires - to isolate ( absorb ) / prevent electrical spikes and flickering from led driver back to switching circuit which might cause loop.

Piezos are very sensitive circuits and power outages can cause switching errors"

"You can go with your lamp to some repair electronic shop and connect with oscilloscope probe on capacitor place , one time without it and one time with it , while lamp working and you can operate on buttons.

If you see spikes without capacitors , then you need it

FET is in driver then come led to ground"

Agreed.
Curious to why it failed.
I recently got a new 40 watt LED Yellow Diving head.
On the other switch I have a Yellow Diving heated vest and changed from their gloves to a pair of SF Tech heated gloves.

@in too deep we deal with large capacitors at work all the time, they seem to have higher fail rates based on age, and based on number of cycles of heating and cooling, i.e. they last forever if you turn them on and they stay on, but if you turn everything on and off, they fail faster. Sh!t happens, life goes on, electronics fail. It happens. You may however want to put two independent capacitors in if you are worried about another one failing. If you do that, then at least you'd have one life e/o cord

It's 8 years old, so good to know.
the cap is 16v 4700uf 85*c. the length is almost 30mm and diameter is 13mm.
what is the difference between caps with the same values but different dimensions.
i'll head to the electronics parts store tomorrow to pick up one

Switching circuits need special capacitors with low ESR Equivalent series resistance - Wikipedia
in ''normal electrolyte capacitors '' that increases over time ( most computers mainboards or power supplies die because of that ( temperature , age ) - If you replace them , then it will computer work normally in future. You can measure it with cheap ESR meter.

ESR meter | eBay

Now in critical places, electrolytic ones are being replaced by "dry" tanatal capacitors , and now with polymer capacitors which are even better but costs more .
If you interested in reading ;-)

https://www.mouser.com/pdfDocs/guidetoreplacinganelectrolyticcapacitorwithanmlcc.pdf

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom