Testing Canister Cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

in too deep

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I have a Yellow Diving dual EO connector cap for my canister. Both piezo switches are not working.
Head works when connected directly to the battery. Heated vest and gloves work directly.
Using a volt meter I get a reading of .06 and .09 volts at the EO connector but does not change when touching either switch.
I unscrewed the EO connectors from the cap and test continuity.
Is there a circuit board inside of the cap that the switches connect to. Or do the switches have there own circuit, I assume they can’t be serviced.
Odd that both switches do not work.
What else can I do for trouble shooting before I ship it out or order parts/new cap.

Attachments

• B2BF6601-3AF7-4FA8-9EA9-D777C9DABDAB.jpeg
    B2BF6601-3AF7-4FA8-9EA9-D777C9DABDAB.jpeg
    98.5 KB · Views: 82
  • 7F70B956-AF72-4C38-AE9F-0029FD66BED1.jpeg
    7F70B956-AF72-4C38-AE9F-0029FD66BED1.jpeg
    70 KB · Views: 95
there will be a board that the switches are attached to, probably a single board for both switches which is why they both failed. I'd take that bottom plate off and look, may find something as simple as a broken contact

Thanks for the tip.
I’ll pick up a small Torx driver tomorrow.

There is a board for each switch. One of the boards has a larger off board capacitor which is connected to the longer EO connector which goes to the light head.
Wiggled each wire gently and confirmed nothing is broken.
Any other ideas.

Attachments

• IMG_1781.jpg
    IMG_1781.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 75
use multimeter and check for continuity between the battery and the input on the board, and the output of the board and the cable ends. If that's confirmed, then it is in the board or switch. It's hard to follow the wires in that picture, but if both of them have failed, then it may be something that is common between the two of them.

I cut the 2 feeds from the battery side to isolate each board.
The board with the large cap does not work the other one does.
It looks like some kind of short when connecting the board that does not work to the battery there are small sparks. The other board does not spark and the switch works correctly.
I'll keep testing.
Again thanks for your replies!

It is the cap, took it out and both work.
I'll pick up a new cap.
Thanks tbone1004, you saved me time and money - shipping and repairs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom